Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
That sounds about right..(77% oil life left).on a diesel you change your oil about every 7500-10,000 miles depending on your driving. The DIC is based on engine rpm, operating time and load on engine. It isn't perfect, but it gives you a good round about estimate of when to change your oil.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
I know on my llys the oil change meter is set to 10k from the factory?

I have mine reset via EFi live to 3k for mine and 5k for the auto truck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Your oil life monitor sounds right on... are you complaining that the 77% is too high or too low? 10k miles is the best oil life you can get -- you don't want oil breakdown or fuel dilution. The monitor is very good to avoid issues like that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My neighbor owns a GM dealership, when I purchase my truck I asked him about this, he claims GM will back it 100% if there's a failure due to not changing the oil if the DIC says there's still oil life remaining. I personally don't go by the DIC, my luck the dealer would just find another reason to make it my bill.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Well, you do have 10 qts of oil in the engine. I believe when I would let my truck get to about 10% or less, it was at about 8500 miles. The last oil change, I did and oil analysis at about 7500 miles, changed the oil filter and topped off. Then, I ran it for another 5000 miles and drained and took another sample. I am waiting on the results of that sample to come back. I am using Delvac 1 5w40 fully synthetic oil. So, I had the oil in my truck for a little over a year and put 12500 miles on this oil change. But, yes the oil life monitor is set to 10,000 miles, but sometimes depending on how much you idle it may tell you to change the oil more often.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
I was told that it is pretty acurate...and I was also told to change it around 20% left. Which roughly would be about 7,000.....and thats when I change my oil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.