Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help
How do you find out what version of Duramax you have in your truck.

I have a 05 truck that was sold in Oct 04 (according to the CarFax)

So I do not know if I have a 04.5 or 05 LLY and is there a difference in programming or parts.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
225 Posts
what's the 8th digit in your vin? (8th from left) Should be a 1 (LB7) or a 2 (LLY)

hope that helps

·
Registered
969 Posts
Look at the 8 or 10 digit in the vin and do a search on the forum that will tell you. Or get the vin and call a stealership they can tell you.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
All 05 trucks came with the LLY engine. :) And all parts are the same as a 04.5 LLY truck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jc1843 thanks. I understand I have the LLY but my question is how do you know if you have a 04.5 or and 05 build.

·
Registered
4 Posts
why does it matter?? everything is the same minus the front end. 03-04 have one front end 05-06 have another.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like to know.
Again just more info for me.

I know 03-04 had different front ends. (I owned 03 and 04 Z71's) and to add 03,04 2500HD had LB7 Duramax's.

·
Registered
272 Posts
look at the date in the sticker on the door. thats when it was made

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that answers my question. DUH

since my truck was sold in Oct 04 it probably is a 04.5 LLY

Thanks for waking me up.:drink

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The 05 vehicles are usually started the built in the summer of 2004, then they start to arrive at the dealer around September 04. Even though it is sold in 04, the vehicle is still a 05.The manufacturers have been doing this for a LOOOOONG time. :rolleyes:

The 04 vehicles are srart build in summer of 03 and usually stopped in the spring of 04.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
the 04.5 have the same front end as those half tons u owend and the 05 has the big front hood that is a quick way to tell

·
Registered
834 Posts
yeah what he said

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys:drink

1 - 13 of 13 Posts