Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Road construction for the past two years has finally progressed to repaving the road in front of my house. While spraying tack in the wind, the road crew managed to wrap up my white truck in little black spots of tar. My truck was in the driveway about 50 feet from the road. Hood, roof, windows, even rims and frame rails. I talked the the super and he told me to go get a couple estimates to get it taken care of and the company would cover it. Went to a body shop and they told me they would tape everything off and machine buff it and wax it. I told the owner to price fixing it right, just like it was his. Im not looking for anything out of this other than a clean truck. What would you want done to remove the tack and what kind of wax applied if it was yours?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Road construction for the past two years has finally progressed to repaving the road in front of my house. While spraying tack in the wind, the road crew managed to wrap up my white truck in little black spots of tar. My truck was in the driveway about 50 feet from the road. Hood, roof, windows, even rims and frame rails. I talked the the super and he told me to go get a couple estimates to get it taken care of and the company would cover it. Went to a body shop and they told me they would tape everything off and machine buff it and wax it. I told the owner to price fixing it right, just like it was his. Im not looking for anything out of this other than a clean truck. What would you want done to remove the tack and what kind of wax applied if it was yours?
I previously managed a couple detail shops, the high speed wheel will take it off but i would start with high end clay, most of the time they will remove everything and not take a chance at "burning the paint," and it will work on all of the surfaces, where the buffer will not. It takes more work, but if someone else is paying for it...

Your truck (an 06) if it has had a good coat of wax on it during it's life will be less likely to have someone miss use the high speed buffer. Being that most of the tar will be above the surface of the paint and it will not take as much to remove it.

A mild acid bath will do the same thing but that is only for the really experienced detailer.

burning the paint: the high speed buffing wheel heats up the paint enough that it physically picks up the paint a moves it to the edge of the current working surface where the metal is cooler and it sticks there. Leaving bald spot where paint was and a heavy spot where the paint is now. Most shops are really good and this does not happen but...it happens often enough to be warned about when buffing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. theres no shortage of wax around here so i probaly overapply. whats the best wax on the market youd have put back on?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I find the meguires clar bar kit works really well with taking lots of stuff off,i also have a white truck

·
Registered
168 Posts
thanks. theres no shortage of wax around here so i probaly overapply. whats the best wax on the market youd have put back on?
Everything that I used then is not for private sale. Go figure, I could not even get my vendors to sell to me once I was gone. Kind of wierd that way.

Mothers and Meguires are pretty good if you buy their high end stuff. They both make clay bars, I like meguires better, it doesn't seem to wear out as fast.

Never use clay that picks up any heavy dirt or sand, you can scratch paint. Make sure you are using it on a freshly and thoroughly washed area.

Also as for any glass or similar scratch resistant surfaces, use some steel wool. This is great from crap like tar, to water spots.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I wold look for someone that would clean it off chemically. I don't care to have tar and the like cleaned off by buffing or even clay. Meguires NXT is a good over the counter wax

·
AKA treyfox11
2,250 Posts
get some gas and a rag clean the truck and then wax

·
Registered
641 Posts
Try WD-40, it will not hurt the paint.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
get some gas and a rag clean the truck and then wax
Try WD-40, it will not hurt the paint.
Wow that sucks! Before buffing Id try those 2! I have used this stuff and it does wonders on removing tar on my paint. All these would be a better bet then buffing IMO.

Collinite Wax Products :: Choice of the Pros :: Auto, Marine and Industrial "Sapphire Prewax Cleaner (No. 840)"

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 9 of 9 Posts