Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. If you were me what would you do (performance enhancements, etc) and in what order would you do it in? I have an 04' (LB7) 2wd stock LT crew cab and am pondering what to do.

What programmer would you use? I keep hearing horror stories about the Edge. Also, in the event of a malfunction what am I looking at in regards to denial of warranty should I do anything? The former owner of the truck had one of those BullyDog boxes that piggy backs on the harness under the hood which I have been told will not show up when a scan is done by the dealer. Either it worked, the computer had been cleared, or the serviceman let it slip by when I took the truck in with the bad injectors.

What intake system, if any, would you use? What exhaust system would you use?

I am looking (as you may have notice in a prior thread) to increase my mileage of course, but want to get a little more giddy-up. On average I will tow a race car once weekly from the spring through the fall.

I have been researching and I keep running into the suggestion to install a boost guage and pyrometer first. What pillar looks the best and/or who has the best guages at the best price with the easiest installation? I do have the Bose speaker in the pillar. Which boost guage should I get? 30lb with vac., or just boost etc?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Well, I would go with either the predator or PPE economy...you can't go wrong with either of those for the programmer. As far as an intake, you won't gain much over stock, just a little louder turbo whistle. You could go with an aftermarket drop-in filter, just stay away from k&n. As far as exhaust, they are pretty much all the same, but it depends on what you want to spend. Do they salt the roads where you live? If so, make sure you get stainless 409 at a minimum. I currently run the MBRP 4" turbo back (actually downpipe back). With the guages, you only need a boost guage (not boost/vacuum) and a pyro with at least 1600* being the top. I haven't installed real guages in my truck yet, but from what I have heard, most of the a-pillar ones fit pretty good. Hope this helps out some.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
ya like ob_1jr said..if you would rather have the overhead mount verse the side pillar Gauges : Pacific Performance Engineering, Diesel Performance Technolgies i would highly recomend the 304SS over any other but if you don't run in any salt i would go with the 409SS but i wouuld stay away from the aluminized system,i have one on my 06 LBZ and it only lasted a little over 1 3/4 years but i do live in a area that has salt in the winter time..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
No worries in this area about salt. Acid in the soil from pine trees is all we have to worry about and this is over a LONG period of time. As long as you keep the vehicle moving you will rust away before your vehicle will.

Where does this overhead mount assembly mount? Is it in the overhead console? Does anyone have pics for me to look at?

Is the K&N drop in bad? Unfortunately I installed one not long ago.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
K and N is not a great way to go. Too much dirt gets through it. I would prefer an Amsoil Nano myself. Something dry or at least an AFE.

Tuner, these guys are dead on. Diablosport is a great bang for the buck. Not nearly the performane of the PPE, but not nearly the price either. If you want the serious performance, the PPE is the way to go.

Exhaust, I like MBRP myself. Available in Aluminized, 304 and 409.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts