Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum has been extremly helpfull by just reading all the various threads. I have one 2016 Duramax and love it. However, I am looking at the 2013 Dually with 173 k on it with a 3.73 rear end. Looking to use it for only pulling my 42' 5th wheel toy hauler cross country plus a few trips during the year. My question is. What should I look for with that much or is 173K just broken in? Or should I taek the initiative and do specific tuning BEFORE i have a problem?
Thanks in advance.

R

·
Registered
308 Posts
Looking forward to answers. I personally cant help, as mine ( 2013 3500 "long bed crew cab dulie") only has about 94,000 mi. Will say this - no question..it is the best truck I've ever owned (normal use pulling trailers (bumper pulls weighing in the five to six ton range).

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
Its well past "just broken in". That's a term guys use when they are selling a high mileage truck for too much money. That being said, that truck if taken care of maintenance wise should have tens of thousands or another hundred thousand miles left in it. My lb7 is about to roll 190k and starts up quick, runs great with no blow by and has good compression on all cylinders. My lml was around 530+hp for 4 years and was raced, sled pulled, and beat on daily. It was around mid 700s to low 800s for about a year and is still kicking today. Google seach the cp4 pumps on the lmls. Thats the only worrisome thing you need to look out for.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
238,000 on mine. Runs fine keep up on maintenance.

·
Registered
331 Posts
173k is nowhere near high miles yet. If you're not familiar with the LML engine, do your research first. If it still has the original injector pump, that may be of some concern. They're had somewhat of a checkered past. Some guys change them out preemptively to the older style pump to make the engine itself near bulletproof. They've had plenty of problems with the emissions systems too. If it hasn't been deleted you might have some concern there. Service history if great if you can get it. It'll do a fine job of toting that toy hauler around.
Edit: Just noticed you already have a 2016? The 2013 is the same drivetrain. Have you had any troubles with the newer model? How many miles does it have on it?

·
Registered
308 Posts
As I noted above, I have only approx. 93,000 mi. on my '13 3500 dualie. Perhaps this question would give the OP some ideas as to when and what to expect...?

My concern would be things that would stop me dead on the road - for example - water pump failure, serpentine belt idler bearing failure - catastrophic alternator failure - have some of you guys changed these parts out as a "service precaution"...who has had these failures and at what mileage ?

·
Registered
331 Posts
All that stuff is still original on my 2012 at 300k. I'm starting to hear the belt making a little noise so I'll get a belt for it and check out the idler, probably get one of those too.

I also installed a new fuel system at 244k as a preemptive measure while I was installing a new piston last summer. That reminds me, don't drag that 42' hauler over mountain passes without letting it breathe very well and/or watching EGT. Bone stock may be ok but not with a tune, not even a small one. Don't ask me how I know:)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Bought my LMM with 300k and now have over 370k. Only issue has been the DPF. All else is original. Looking forward to another couple hundred thousand miles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This forum has been extremly helpfull by just reading all the various threads. I have one 2016 Duramax and love it. However, I am looking at the 2013 Dually with 173 k on it with a 3.73 rear end. Looking to use it for only pulling my 42' 5th wheel toy hauler cross country plus a few trips during the year. My question is. What should I look for with that much or is 173K just broken in? Or should I taek the initiative and do specific tuning BEFORE i have a problem?
Thanks in advance.

R
My LBZ 2006 Has 300,000 on it. I always keep up on maintenance, run 15w40 shaeffer synthetic oil, and treat it nice. I pull heavy loads and a RV regularly. No problems. The Allison is great!

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,557 Posts
Fwiw, they're all 3.73
Absolutely correct from the factory!!! I wish everyone understood this lol

I have an LB7 that has 282k on it right now, and has been a weekend warrior/work stock pulling truck since it had about 200k on it. I currently have an LBZ that is right at 300k. Ive owned two other LB7s that were over 200k, an LLY that I purchased with 315k on it and is still running around locally with over 500k. So keep up on maintenance, do the things you should (and don't do the things you shouldn't), and they will last a long while

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Thanks in advance.

R
It is not possible to say how long a LML engine can go before it needs new injectors ($5,000) or new DPF or NOx sensors or other expensive repairs. It is also more relevant to look at engine hours which are indicated on the DIC. Big difference between 100,000 miles with a great deal of off the highway driving at average speeds of 30 mph (3333 hours of operation) as compared to 100,000 miles of highway use at an average speed of 60 mph (1667 hours of operation).

Maintenance by owners also varies widely and I would be concerned about a truck with the emission deleted and the owner using a tuner or with a lifted truck with added stress on the steering components.

Big Class 8 trucks can get 700,000 or more miles between overhauls but they are getting regular servicing and maintenance and their engines are built to a higher level than an engine going into a pickup truck and they are operated by highly skilled drivers.

·
Registered
331 Posts
It is not possible to say how long a LML engine can go before it needs new injectors ($5,000) or new DPF or NOx sensors or other expensive repairs. It is also more relevant to look at engine hours which are indicated on the DIC. Big difference between 100,000 miles with a great deal of off the highway driving at average speeds of 30 mph (3333 hours of operation) as compared to 100,000 miles of highway use at an average speed of 60 mph (1667 hours of operation).

Maintenance by owners also varies widely and I would be concerned about a truck with the emission deleted and the owner using a tuner or with a lifted truck with added stress on the steering components.

Big Class 8 trucks can get 700,000 or more miles between overhauls but they are getting regular servicing and maintenance and their engines are built to a higher level than an engine going into a pickup truck and they are operated by highly skilled drivers.
I hate to be argumentative but where are you seeing all these highly skilled drivers in Class 8 rigs? I used to be one (pretty much just hotshot nowadays) and the level of people that I see in big trucks these days is sickening. Truckers used to be known for professionalism and courtesy on the road. Now they're rude, careless and as a group, completely unskilled. They pull out in front of you on the interstate at the last second and block both lanes for miles sometimes. You wanna see something that will make you completely lose faith in today's drivers, just sit at a truckstop where you can see the truck parking lot and watch today's drivers trying to back into parking spots. You see many of them just pulling head on into parking spaces now because they can't back a truck. You should see the backing test I had to pass back in 1993. I guarantee you at least 95% of drivers couldn't pass that test today, not even close. There's nothing that today's "truck drivers" are doing to extend the life of a Class 8 rig's engine. They know how to turn them on and drive them straight down the road. Sad but true. Sorry for the derailment, it's just something I'm passionate about.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
There used to be a facebook page called High Mileage Duramax where folks could post pics and mileage and such on their trucks. There were probably more than 30 of them posted on that page with 600,000+ miles and more than a few that had 800,000+. Tons of them with 200,000- 400,000. My LB7 is at 412,000 right now - one owner truck - and I have no fears that it needs to be replaced anytime in the next 10 years... They shut down that Facebook page about a year ago. There were also a few trucks on there with 1,000,000+ miles.

Really, everything is going to roll back to how well each truck was maintained but yeah, 173,000 miles ain't nuthin'.

Also keep in mind that the real reason you don't see even more Duramax trucks with 1,000,000+ miles is that there's just not enough people driving their trucks enough to get there. I've had my truck for 18+ years and I've averaged about twice the miles per year as the average American in those 18 years and I'm still only at 412k. You gotta be doing some SERIOUS driving to even hit 500k- 1 million is crazy even at 18 years!

·
Registered
331 Posts
There's plenty of guys running that kind of miles in pickup trucks nowadays. 100-150k a year is nothing for a hotshotter or RV hauler, but most of them don't run their trucks that many years. Several RV haulers run a truck multiple years but many of the hauler companies require your truck to be of a certain model year or newer so that keeps them from running up some serious miles.

A friend of mine bought an LBZ with about 80k miles on it 2 years ago and now has over 400k on it. He said he had an uncle or cousin that ran a Dmax to almost 800k before it took a serious dump on him. I don't know which series of engine it was but I know he bought another Dmax.

Our company shared some truck mfr information with us one time. About half of our fleet ran Dodges, then maybe 30% or so with GM's followed by the smallest percentage of guys running Fords. Ford is obviously still paying for their 6.0/6.4 debacle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
All that stuff is still original on my 2012 at 300k. I'm starting to hear the belt making a little noise so I'll get a belt for it and check out the idler, probably get one of those too.

I also installed a new fuel system at 244k as a preemptive measure while I was installing a new piston last summer. That reminds me, don't drag that 42' hauler over mountain passes without letting it breathe very well and/or watching EGT. Bone stock may be ok but not with a tune, not even a small one. Don't ask me how I know:)
Do yourself a favor. When replacing a serpentine belt closing in on a 1/3 million miles that is 9 years old, replace the tensioner and idler pulleys, because if you do not you do not have a new belt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts