Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in west texas with a lot of blowing sand and I use my truck on the farm. Witch aftermarket intake would be the safest to run on my truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
s&b intake. put the cover on the top. put the cap on the bottom since you wont be using a scoop and get a dry filter

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Leave it stock. Intakes are a waste of money.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would be a sand scooper if I got the scoop lol. Is the dry air filter cleanable?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
no there not... sure they dont add power, these trucks make enough as it is. they do give you better fuel efficiency and throttle response. that has been proven over and over. i picked up almost a solid 2mpg with mine

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
no. they say not to clean the dry filter and reuse. there not really expensive though. and with an oiled filter all the dirt and sand will stick to the filter and you will have to clean it twice as often

·
Premium Member
3,534 Posts
Absolutely nothing wrong with the stock airbox, except it's not shiny. Keep it.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
no there not... sure they dont add power, these trucks make enough as it is. they do give you better fuel efficiency and throttle response. that has been proven over and over. i picked up almost a solid 2mpg with mine
According to your DIC.
Where has this been proven over and over? Most tests I've seen were done by a filter company, not an unbiased 3rd party.
I can tell you I put an AEM intake on a few years ago when my truck was stock and my mileage went DOWN. It allowed the motor to suck in hot air and we all know what that does for combustion efficiency. It sure did sound & look cool...

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
If your looking for a better filter for your stock intake look into Amsoil. They would be great for the farm!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
s&b is a closed filter and pulls air from inside the fender... not sure where your getting the hot air. i make trips back and forth from idaho to north dakota (900miles) and both the dic and hand calculations went up. i think a straight 900 mile drive and with only one stop for fuel is pretty obvious it did something. there are numerous other members claiming the same changes. theres even a topic on here somewhere.
but i believe the op's question was what "aftermarket" intake. generally means hes already made up his mind that he wants something different

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
if you were keeping the old airbox id do the simple box mod and put a better filter in it

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hate the stock airbox. I'm not game with the way its designed with the stupid screws.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
figured. banks and s&b are the two most popular. i for one like the s&b, looks good and with the clear cover it makes it easier to see what kinda junk your picking up

·
jokerfabworx.com
3,662 Posts
Because this isn't a, "will a CAI help my farm truck" thread. I'll answer the OP with MY preference.

Any oiled filter with a pre-filter is your best bet. I run my truck in very dusty conditions during the summer months and love my aFe Stage what ever the f*ck.

If your MAF sensor needs a cleaning every 50,000 km, it is well worth the performance and protection offered by this setup. If you do not posses the knowledge to clean a MAF sensor, you shouldn't own a truck.

Pro Guard 7 w/ pre-filter

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Where do I get one of those socks. I want one. I had a tuner at one point tell me they were bad to have on

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I want to butt in to say cleandirtymax I like that name- it's a love/hate thing for me as noted in my sig lol

·
jokerfabworx.com
3,662 Posts
Where do I get one of those socks. I want one. I had a tuner at one point tell me they were bad to have on
aFe sells pre-filters for their line of filter elements. I am sure S&B has them available. Which tuner told you that?

Pre-filter on my bush truck, pre filter on my jet boat, pre filter on my 2-stroke RC...

Pre-filters also keep the pleats free and clear in snow storms. Ask me how I know.

Pick out your filter, friend!
http://www.sbfilters.com/Store/Filter-Wraps

Joker:thumb

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
It was a guy out in seattle. Said with teucks pulling this much boost that it was ruining the filters.. I don't see that happening. I'm going to get one

·
jokerfabworx.com
3,662 Posts
It was a guy out in seattle. Said with teucks pulling this much boost that it was ruining the filters.. I don't see that happening. I'm going to get one
The guy out in Seattle needs to get kicked in the mouth.

I am sure most outfits do the same, but can only guarantee that aFe has heavily reinforced filters for this reason. I would like to meet the person who collapses a Pro Guard 7 with a pre-filter, while making 30psi. That aside, no intelligent person would run a pre-filter on a truck making 130psi.

My pre-filter is currently white, from salt and calcium. I like being able to brush it off, rather than packing the pleats full of road salt. Personal preference I suppose.

Joker:thumb

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
1 - 20 of 53 Posts