Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any expirence taking one of these bearings apart. I was thinking about it, and I have a 20 ton shop press, and I found a place online to buy the replacement bearings to repack for $25 and their Timken as well, but I am not sure how you would press it apart. I usually just buy the entire assembly, but I believe you could save a fortune by pressing the assembly out, repacking/replacing and pressing back together. (Maybe I could make some money doing others as well), but I don't want to damage it by pressing the wrong direction or using the wrong press points.

Let me know......thanks.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Sealed hub. Easier to just replace whole unit, i got mine for 350ish. Might be more trouble then its worth

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So there is definitely no way to pursue it?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Nah man, just go to parts store get a Timken wheel hub about $240 best ones out there IMO

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can get the replacements for $70 that are nice and come with a warranty but hell who wouldn't love to pay $30 instead if I could press the bearings myself. Oh well

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I go through Detroit Axle out of Chicago, they are nice, and they honor their warranty as well.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
When it comes to the front suspensions on these GMs, spend the extra money and buy the better parts. Otherwise, a year from now or later youll wish you did when your laying out more money for the same parts.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had Timken before and they are nice, but I do so much with my truck and I don't have the fundage for them. I buy the $70 bearings, they usually last me a long time, and so far I have broken one of them in about 75k miles and the guys will send me replacements as long as I have receipts and record numbers. I know they are made in USA, they look great, the machine work is good, and as far as I can tell they are solid. I am just a cheapo.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know why I said Ohio....LOL, "Detroit, Ohio" HaHaHa. I meant Michigan. They are a small company and they have great reviews. I sort of stumbled up on them by accident really. Either way, I guess I will have to erase my thoughts of pressing those bearings.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
The ones I have seen usually have a large snap ring in one side to retain the bearings. Take a look and find the snap ring and go from there. Worse case scenario, you wreck a dead hub and spend $25 on the repack kit you cant use. I would go for it just to see if it can be done. After looking at the unit for a while it should be somewhat obvious how they are pressed together. I have one at home I'll look at tonight and see what I can figure out and let you know what I see.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool, I will fool with it, and if it works great. I have about 4 or 5 dead ones lying around from some installs I did for other folks. If I can rebuild them successfully I will pack them all and put them up for sale. That would be a decent profit. I will probably use my truck and my buddyies trucks as test subjects first. I would like to honor some sort of warranty.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did this ever work out for you? I just replaced mine and i was looking at it after woundering if i can replace the bearings in the assembly.
Honestly, I could never find any documentation regarding the assembly. I also figured that since the auto parts shop doesn't even ask for a core part I just let it go......

So far I have been loving my ebay bearings though. I paid $70 a piece for them. I have about 15k on mine with no issues, and my dad has roughly 95k on his.

I have heard a lot of horror stories about them, but I can't say anything bad. I guess my dad and I got 4 good ones!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts