Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
When I'm driving, my wheel has a little play in It, and I can turn it left to right a little bit without seeing response in the actual wheels. Why might this be? What parts are going bad I should look at?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine has a good amount of play as well. Both my idler and pitman arm have way too much slack in them. Trying to find the time to just do a front end overhaul on mine. 200k and I’m pretty sure everything is stock.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine has a good amount of play as well. Both my idler and pitman arm have way too much slack in them. Trying to find the time to just do a front end overhaul on mine. 200k and I’m pretty sure everything is stock.
I feel you on that one. I'm trying to do everything the right way but not spend an arm and a leg by just doing front and work, mostly because I know that there's going to be other things that I'm going to have to do to this truck eventually sometime or another and want to be prepared for it.
What I can say right now is that I'm going to end up with a new steering dampener, aftermarket. I have a 2-in lift kit so I'm going to get aftermarket control arms, with ball joints on them already, I ordered them from a performance parts company for Duramax and power stroke and Cummins. They should be here by the 9th. I have new shocks, and what I'm going to do is not change out the lower control arms but I'm putting kryptonite lower ball joints on them so they're under warranty.
I'm pretty sure I'm either going with kryptonite or PPE tie rod assemblies.
And then after everything I'm pretty sure I'm still going to be ending up with idler and pitman arm. No this might be a stupid question but just to verify so I don't short myself out I don't need two idler arms and two pitman arms right?

·
Administrator
16,976 Posts
1 idler and 1 pitman, jack up the front end and look where play is. Probably need a pitman arm, fix the play before you upgrade tie rods. I would do everything at once though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts