Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right before I bought my current forces, I came across some 20x10 AF Target's for diiiiiirt cheap. The reason they were so cheap is because they have some stupid swirl design in them. I don't know why anyone would ever do this to a set of forces, but anyways...
Here's the victim:

So, I started with one spoke and started testing the waters. Keep in mind, I've never done anything like this.
Here's the first spoke untouched:

First I took a powerball and some compound just to see if anything would happen. All it did was make it shinier:

Round 2:

Soooo, I took some 600 grit and went to town:

And this is what I ended with on night one:

I was somewhat disappointed, so on night number two I stopped fuckin around.. I started sanding and didn't stop until I got carpal tunnel

I then proceeded to buff and buff and buff... and this is where I sit after night two and six beers later:

Very VERY minimal swirls you can only see at a certain angle. I'm not done yet, but I'm somewhat proud of myself.
Before and After:

I'll post finished pics when I get them all done.

·
Premium Member
11,316 Posts
Looks like it's getting there!

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
WOW, nice work! You have a lot more patients than I do, I would have just Plasti-dipped those bastards:D

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like it's getting there!
:neener

WOW, nice work! You have a lot more patients than I do, I would have just Plasti-dipped those bastards:D
haha ya it's time consuming that's for sure, but will be worth it in the end!

Hey, man. Good job. 3 more to go. Don't give up now.
Thanks man, I'm limiting myself so I don't get overworked, they're a spare set so I'm in no hurry!

How much did they cost ya?
Basically got the set of 4 for the price of 1.5 if that makes sense :D

·
Reign in Blood
4,553 Posts
If you really want to make them like new use 600 and 1000 grit but use wd40 as a lubricant. Once you are done with that get some light gray scotch Brite to polish the score marks from the sand paper again using wd40 as a lube. Then with high speed felt bobs work the surface with paste polishing compound. Once it's to a haze rub it out by hand...mirrror

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did they have clear coat on them to start with? If they had clear coat, paint remover will help with that. Progressive sanding like above will speed the process.

·
Reign in Blood
4,553 Posts
That finish is known as engine turning or jeweling btw.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you really want to make them like new use 600 and 1000 grit but use wd40 as a lubricant. Once you are done with that get some light gray scotch Brite to polish the score marks from the sand paper again using wd40 as a lube. Then with high speed felt bobs work the surface with paste polishing compound. Once it's to a haze rub it out by hand...mirrror
That finish is known as engine turning or jeweling btw.
Right on man, I will try that on rim #2 and let you know how it goes.
Did they have clear coat on them to start with? If they had clear coat, paint remover will help with that. Progressive sanding like above will speed the process.
Nope, no clear coat on them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.