Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok....so I have been doing research on wheel spacers for about 2 1/2 years now and finally got the balls to buy some. For those of you interested in how they work, etc... I'm going to hopefully help a bit. Now I've heard wheel spacers can cause added stress, but after seeing the way these bolt on, I can't really see it making that much of a difference....Esp. since the guy who sold them to me has been in business for YEARS and has never heard of one person who had issues with his spacers. Actually people have been in mind bending wrecks that their vehicles have been totaled, and his spacers were still 100% perfect. Anyways.....I've established that you HAVE to spend good money on them...I personally dropped $160.00 per spacer....so it cost me $320.00 for my back wheels only. The spacers I got were about 30 pounds a piece, and I don't think I could dent them with a sledgehammer. Anyways, other people said you have to cut your original lugs as well.....this is also false if you have a set of aftermarket wheels. I took some pics of the spacer, the back of my wheel to show the extra space behind it, and the after effect. The pics aren't that great, but I'll be posting new ones of my truck when it gets washed.

The spacer on my truck.

The recess in the wheels that the orignal lugs fit into...I'm pointing at them.

The finished result

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Damn that looks good, im anxious to see some full view pictures

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My hopes are to get some up by the end of the week. I got new wheels/tires and need to clean my truck before I get some pics.....and it def. looks 100X better. And weirdly enough, it feels like it grips the road better too...

·
Registered
566 Posts
I used a dual adapter similar to that years ago from arrowcraft. Liked them and had no problems. Worked very well for me.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
holy cow i paid $99 shipped for the pair of mine and they are exactally the same thing. 2.5" thick for between my rear duals

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went with a 1.5 inch spacer, and it made my back exactly level with my front. And $160.00 a piece is kinda high priced, but this guy has a lifetime guarantee on his spacers..and so far he hasn't had one fail yet.....and I figured I don't really want to risk having something bad happen. All I know is I have John Wayne to thank for this....(telling me about not having to cut the original lugs)....and my truck officially looks like a truck now.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Looks good! I have spacers on mine and I've never had a problem with them, it doesn't worry me at all that they are on there. I think the main problem with spacers is that people put them on and then they never go back and check to make sure the spacers are still tight after driving it a bit. It's a good idea to drive it 500 or a 1000 miles and then check the lugs on the spacers just to make sure.

·
needing more money
314 Posts
So a 1.5" spacer on each back wheel is what is needed to match the front? I thought they were only 1/2 inch off. Thanks for the pics those things look burly.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll tell ya what....when you do "eye" measurements, etc.. it seems 1.5 inches is WAY to much....but when you actually get them on and look at them....you're completely surprised at how they match the front perfectly. This morning I was staring the back of my truck down when I took my dog out to piss and I was pumped! It's amazing how it makes your truck look like it want to eat the ground below it.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I agree with bl580 I got spacers on a 68 cougar I'm rebuilding and they are great but I didn't go back and re torque the lug nuts holding the spacers on and took it for a drive and about lost a back wheel cuz it started to wobble and eat up some threads :( bad deal

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes they will work on front wheels too....as long as you get 1.5 or bigger and have aftermarket wheels. And I'm actually going to tear mine off again in 300 miles to put the strongest locktite I can buy on them....then check it again in 1000 miles...if they are tight still I"m calling it good to go.

·
needing more money
314 Posts
How do you like those wrangler kevlars? Noise? Sorry to derail the thread but i'm thinking about getting the same 305/70-17 this summer. Worth the price? Oh and pm me if you can about the spacer info. Thanks

·
Registered
686 Posts
what are your wheel spacers made out of ? aluminum ? or steel?

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The spacers are made from ALCOA billet aluminum.

And PM sent to BlackDmax15

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
Yes they will work on front wheels too....as long as you get 1.5 or bigger and have aftermarket wheels. And I'm actually going to tear mine off again in 300 miles to put the strongest locktite I can buy on them....then check it again in 1000 miles...if they are tight still I"m calling it good to go.
why the need for aftermarket wheels.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can trim down the original studs if you need to......but that is something I wouldn't do, because you might have issues selling it in the future if someone doesn't want spacers. Or if you mess something up it could be bad....but that is your call.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.