Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone me again i have yet another question ... my duramax is going to need some new tires soon. what whoudl i go for ? i like around the original height of the tires but i find them to fat ... sorry to all of you mud tire fans but i drive on the highway alote and most of the tire trailering my boat... i live in canada we get some snow but not a lot in toronto but anyways i like my tires very very very narrow and i do not like aggressive treds ... am i being to picky ? anybody got a suggestion ? thx

p.s monstertruck has been great so far thanks alot

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,163 Posts
Maybe a 215/85/16 would be what your looking for should be about the same heigth and narrow, they run on the gm duallys stock, or maybe even a 225/75/16 like they ran on the older duallys,

Hope this helps
Caleb

·
Registered
11 Posts
I posted this in another area, but this is a newer post!

I spoke with the my dealer rep yesterday and was told that changing the tires size could cause the warranty to be voided if there was any motor or transmission problems with respect to the Allison transmission! He went on to say that GM is under a lot of pressure to come up with a software solution to change the shift points on the Allison so people would have some real options without effecting the warranty. He told me he would be meeting with the GM rep in the next couple of weeks to discuss the problem...

I told him for 45K I should have some other options beside skateboard wheels and tires!:confused:

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
The warranty issue really isn't one. I talked to my dealer before installing the 285s and they said as long as I kept my 245s for troubleshooting purposes until the 3/36000 was up...they would have no issues. As far as shifting..I have not had any problems with the shiftpoints. I think this becomes an issue with bigger than 35" tires and it is shifting into 5th that they are having slight problems with. I highly doubt that the allison can't handle bigger tires. In fact, they should be able to program the allison for up to 37" tires since the Hummer H1 comes with those on it and it has the allison and duramax in it. As long as you don't go extremely big, you shouldn't have an issue. Just talk to your dealer first....most of them will agree that the 245 pizza cutters are way too small.

·
Registered
1 Posts
wheels for 06 silverado 3500 8 lug Duramax/Allison

Why is it so hard to find custom wheels to fit my truck. I am having a hard time getting reliable information about wheels to fit my stock silverado. I don't want to lift it. I would like to stick with 16/17 wheel with 8 inch width. How do I find wheels and tires that will just fill up the wheel well without protruding out past the fender. For now I would prefer to stick with the factory fender flares. Why does Chevy make these tall wheel wells with tiny little tires and wheels.

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
If you want to not have them stick out past the fenderwell, you will have to get 5" or 5.5" backspacing. You can use Hummer rims and 285/70-17s I believe. I have 4.5" backspacing and they stick out a little bit....guys with the hummer rims don't have their tires sticking out past the fenderwell.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tires and lift?

What's the largest tire that will fit the stock alloys and stock height?
Withe 285-75-16's fit? Or is there not enough clearance?
Are the wheels too narrow?
Looks like 265's are just a little bigger, should fit no problem?

OB_1jr I see you have 285's. Are you stock height?

BTW, does anyone know how to get a couple of inches on the front end to balance the rear height?

How do you like the BFG AT's? Would you recommend them or the Long-Trails?

Thanks a bunch,
--Chris

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
285/75-16s will fit with minimal trimming and zipties. I had them on the stock rims and only had to trim my mudflaps some, reshape the front of the driver's side fenderliner, and tie back the parking brake cable and the fenderliner in front of that. Technically speaking, 285s aren't rated for our small rims. they are rated for rims 7-9" wide....stock 2500HD rims are 6.5" wide. I ran them on stock rims for about 6 months with no problems. My truck is still pretty much stock height. You can crank the torsion bars a little to gain more clearance, but I would recommend getting shock spacers for anything over 1" of lift. As far as how I like the BFG all terrains.....they have been pretty awesome for the 2 winters I have used them. I would recommend them to anyone. Check out the pics on my signature for what I had to do to make the tires fit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Excellent.
I did find an extensive article on tire fitments on the 'other' forum. This seems like a fairly new forum, I like it better.

I've already ordered a set of Bilsteins and plan to tweak the torsion bars for about an inch to inch and a half. Should work out pretty good. I just need to figure out how to do that. I'll be if I get under the truck it'll make sense.

BTW, you truck looks great. You're in Alaska????

Thanks a million,
Chris Brown

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
Yeah, I'm near Fairbanks. Don't forget to get your alignment checked after you get the amount of lift out of the front you want. You don't want to eat up them expensive tires.

·
3,163 Posts
Chris when you crank your bars be sure to lift the truck up so there is no weight on the front wheels. YOu can do it with out jacking it up but you chance striping the bolts. Also be sure to mark the bolts so you are sure to get full, even turns out of them! Most of the guys i know usually go 4 turns for a good ride hight!

Hope this helps,
Caleb

·
Registered
7 Posts
05_LLY said:
Chris when you crank your bars be sure to lift the truck up so there is no weight on the front wheels. YOu can do it with out jacking it up but you chance striping the bolts. Also be sure to mark the bolts so you are sure to get full, even turns out of them! Most of the guys i know usually go 4 turns for a good ride hight!

Hope this helps,
Caleb
That's just what I was looking for, the how-to-do it details. Yeah, I've got a big floor jack that'll lift the whole front end up. I spotted the screws under there during lunch today, looks like you screw'em down and it increases the tension on the suspension? 4 turns, huh, that'll give me about an inch and a half? Are there any stop nuts or anything? Put some penetrating oil on'em first? Then get it aligned and put the new Bilsteins on?

I looked at BFG long-trails today in 265-75's. Definetely a lot bigger than stock, nice looking tire. But I guess I should try and get some AT's in 285.

Thanks!

·
3,163 Posts
265's are a good sized tire 285's will fit alright with the bars cranked up on stock wheels! When jacking i usually put the jack right in the center of the crossmember furthest in the front, if your truck has aluminum skid plates just be cerful of your jack placement:wink AS for the adjustment 4 turns should get you close but fell free to adjust more after you see what it looks like!! when i run at the drag strip i lower mine 5 turns from stock and that bottoms them out !!! TO raise the truck u want to turn the bolt (18MM) in(tighten) and to lower the truck u want to turn the bolt out(loosen)!AS for the alignment, you should get one i dont just because i'm constantly adjusting mine up and down for racing thats why i have the bolt marked so i'm sure to always get them back where they should be. Even when i dont raise them back up i really dont notice any strange tire wear.

Later
Caleb

·
Registered
7 Posts
05_LLY said:
265's are a good sized tire 285's will fit alright with the bars cranked up on stock wheels! When jacking i usually put the jack right in the center of the crossmember furthest in the front, if your truck has aluminum skid plates just be cerful of your jack placement:wink AS for the adjustment 4 turns should get you close but fell free to adjust more after you see what it looks like!! when i run at the drag strip i lower mine 5 turns from stock and that bottoms them out !!! TO raise the truck u want to turn the bolt (18MM) in(tighten) and to lower the truck u want to turn the bolt out(loosen)!AS for the alignment, you should get one i dont just because i'm constantly adjusting mine up and down for racing thats why i have the bolt marked so i'm sure to always get them back where they should be. Even when i dont raise them back up i really dont notice any strange tire wear.

Later
Caleb
Yep, what a piece of cake. Jack on cross member, bolts are easy to get to and turn easily. I put 3 1/2 turns on them and the rig is almost level, just a very slight rake now and I'm really happy with that. Unfortunetely I did not measure before and after, but I've got a ton of room around them little tires now. I'm going with 285's, I can see they'll fit just fine. If they are close at the front valence I can trim it there.

It does throw the camber off but not by much. I can eyeball within a couple of degrees, and a tape on the front and back of the tires can get within less than a 1/16", so I do my own alignments too. They really only needed a tick on the camber adjusters to get them straight up and down. I had to do them a couple of times as I dialed in too much the first go-round. What are the little plastic doo-hickies for the camber adjusters? Some kind of factory pre-setting? It really throws the toe-in off, but I got the front of the wheel within an eight of an inch of the back so it's pretty dead-nuts. Had to tweak them a little after a test drive to get the wheel centered again, there's no adjust on the idler and there's no drag link. Weird front ends on these things. Every time I adjusted the camber it woud throw the toe-in way off. Anyway, got it dialed in and it drives like a dream, ride is excellent, can't tell it from the stock settings. My Bilsteins are supposed to be here Friday, can't wait.

Thanks for the tips, it sure makes a difference on the way the truck sits. WTF is wrong with these great big trucks that you can't fit big tires on them? How do you fit 20's on a half ton? It must have something to do with the heavy duty spindles or something, huh? Heck I've got 35" tires on my little jeep. 'Course I've got over 5" of lift on it ;)

Found a bunch of grease nipples under there too so the ball joints and tie rods got a shot from the phnumatic gun. They looked dirty and dry but there was grease in there, just black goey crap. I use Amsoil 2000 Racing grease in everything.

Laters....

EDIT: PS: when you fit bigger tires how do you recalibrate the speedo? It's done with the engine computer right? A scanner tool, or take it to a shop, or?????

1 - 14 of 14 Posts