Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 LBZ CC with the OEM Bose, 6 disc changer, steering wheel controls and On-Star. I wanted to be able to plug in my 'Droid when on long road trips as I have close to 20 hours of serious jams stored in it (my workout tunes). I purchased a supposedly hi quality aftermarket interface that plugged in between the factory connectors and gives you a remotely mounted 1/8" stereo input jack. You tune to a particular XM station number and then use the phone. Well long story short it's a POS. The gain rates are way off and the sound quality seriously lacks. What I'm wondering is what year did the factory units begin to offer the face mounted aux input jacks and can one of those OEM units be fitted to my '06 and have everything work correctly? I'm totally happy with the factory unit and the Bose, just want to be able to add my phone for a music source.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had a similar concern but just wanted Bluetooth to get the music across. I’ve discovered you can buy a brand new head unit with a full screen for a couple hundred bucks off a Crutchfield. It is easy to maintain all your Bose components, steering wheel controls and rear seat entertainment.

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
While I don’t know what year it was started, my 09 LMM with Bose has the built in jack.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Not sure when GM started adding an aux port. You can check out isimple (unless that's what you have). I have the isimple ISGM535 in my '05 for the purpose of adding an aux port. It is bare bones and doesn't have bluetooth, but it allows you to plumb in an aux port to the factory bose headunit. It has worked fine for me over the last 3 or so years.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You can buy the isimple for aux and there’s another piece that plugs into it to make it Bluetooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been thinking of adding an aux jack to my 2007. The way I am going to do it is, buy a 5 pin head phone jack and wire it in at the xm plug behing the glove box. What this does ( an yours does not ) is disconnect the xm signal that seems to be interferring with your aux. This is the way head phone jacks in stereos cut out the speakers when you want to use the HPs. A pig tail will be used to bring the jack out to the dash face.

·
Registered
7 Posts
One more idea, if you don’t use xm, you can just cut the audio connections and splice in a jack made from a common cable. I am assuming you have a xm radio behind the glove box. Hope this helps. When I do this, I will try and do a writeup. The 5 pin jack is more involved but keeps the xm available by reconnecting it when you unplug the cable to your phone/mp3 player.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One more idea, if you don’t use xm, you can just cut the audio connections and splice in a jack made from a common cable. I am assuming you have a xm radio behind the glove box. Hope this helps. When I do this, I will try and do a writeup. The 5 pin jack is more involved but keeps the xm available by reconnecting it when you unplug the cable to your phone/mp3 player.
A write up would be awesome! I'm really interested in the 5 pin option. :smile2:

·
Registered
4,958 Posts

Were a 5 pin aux jack not available, and all you had laying around was an aux cord, you could accomplish the same effect with a single DPDT relay or two SPDT relays and a switch. the 5 pin aux jack method is more seamless, but if you have a small tub of relays laying around like some people, you have options.

also, are you guys actually so happy with the factory radio that its worth modifying it to use an aux cord instead of replacing it with an aftermarket with more features, better audio quality, and no built in filters that augment the sound of your music? I ask because of all the vehicles on the road ive replaced radios in, the 07.5 style trucks are by far the most commonly replaced radio ive ever seen. Nobody seems to like those radios outside this forum. Ive even had people bring me used LB7 radios in an attempt to get rid of the LMM radio cheaper, so I'm actually curious what people see in the factory audio system.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i dont think they had aux ports built into the factory stereos on the first gen silverados(2000-2007). i think they only started putting aux ports into the stereos on 2nd gens forward. Some factory radios on the first gen have AUX as a button but i think thats for tv in the backseat of the crew cabs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts