Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched, but couldn't come up with anything.

My 08 has 24k miles, but the trans fluid and filter have 6 years on them; at what mileage/age does the filter or fluid need to be changed?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
GM states the internal filter only has to be changed at overhaul. Many change the external filter the same as the oil filter. The filter is cheap at Allison-- $10-12-

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
^x2

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
You are likely fine, but you could go ahead and change the fluid to Transynd and change the spin on filter. Thereafter you should change every other oil change so somewhere ~20K miles.

·
Registered
815 Posts
My 08 also has 24,000 miles on it and I switched it to transynd about 2,000 miles ago when I did my transgo. The fluid wasn't bad and the Trans filters were changed every 6,000 miles. I changed the fluid just because of the age and that Allison recommends transynd over the dex that gm puts in them from the factory.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can anyone tell me how many quarts the trans takes for a fluid and filter change? I just hit 30k miles and figured since it's 7 yrs old it would be a good idea to change it.

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
Can anyone tell me how many quarts the trans takes for a fluid and filter change? I just hit 30k miles and figured since it's 7 yrs old it would be a good idea to change it.
7-7.5 qts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts