Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 L5P bought in July 2020... towing 11k camper. At 11k miles, CEL came on (P2002 error) while on camping trip with fam. Got a night at a rv park next to Chevy in Deming, NM. Chevy says needed software update, cleared code. Got back to South Florida, at 14k CEL (P2002 error again) comes on again, this time in Chevy for two weeks, complete DPF replacement. Here I am in Las Cruces, NM... arrived Sunday night, setup camper, ran to Walmart, 19k miles... CEL comes on again (P20EE this time). Truck is at Bravo Chevy in Las Cruces and they're saying maybe converter needs replacing, maybe NOx sensor... you can't make this crap up. Paid $50k for a workhorse to fulltime RV with my wife and two kids and this is absolutely unacceptable. 90% of miles have been while towing at highway speeds... Chevy says NOx sensor replacement if needed is on back order... may end up stranded over 2k miles from home...purchased in Florida... when does a vehicle qualify as a lemon?

·
Registered
2021 GMC AT4 3500 CC LB
253 Posts
Lemon laws and their requirements are based on the state. Had a lemon favored BMW many years ago.

Reactions: bobbyseg

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
IIRC, the FL lemon law states something to the effect that the exact same problem must occur 4 times without satisfactory resolution.

Call a lawyer........

Reactions: bobbyseg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IIRC, the FL lemon law states something to the effect that the exact same problem must occur 4 times without satisfactory resolution.

Call a lawyer........
I found the info on the FL lemon laws, thank you. I've already lost 14 days of the first 6 months due to this issue. I've got GM customer care involved and an attorney lined up if things progress poorly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My advise...don't seek or take legal advise from the internet. Contact a lawyer that specializes in this type of case, that is if you are serious about pursuing. No, I'm not a lawyer.
Interested if anyone has had similar problems and what they're recourse was.

·
Registered
712 Posts
There have been numerous trucks repurchased. Some folks have been in the shop 9 times or more. Just do a general search on the net. The gas trucks are having similar cel/reduced power issues as well. It up to you how far to take it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There have been numerous trucks repurchased. Some folks have been in the shop 9 times or more. Just do a general search on the net. The gas trucks are having similar cel/reduced power issues as well. It up to you how far to take it.
Thanks for your feedback, I've got GM Customer Care involved and they seem to be proactive but you know they're gonna try the least expensive route first.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
2020 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 L5P bought in July 2020... towing 11k camper. At 11k miles, CEL came on (P2002 error) while on camping trip with fam. Got a night at a rv park next to Chevy in Deming, NM. Chevy says needed software update, cleared code. Got back to South Florida, at 14k CEL (P2002 error again) comes on again, this time in Chevy for two weeks, complete DPF replacement. Here I am in Las Cruces, NM... arrived Sunday night, setup camper, ran to Walmart, 19k miles... CEL comes on again (P20EE this time). Truck is at Bravo Chevy in Las Cruces and they're saying maybe converter needs replacing, maybe NOx sensor... you can't make this crap up. Paid $50k for a workhorse to fulltime RV with my wife and two kids and this is absolutely unacceptable. 90% of miles have been while towing at highway speeds... Chevy says NOx sensor replacement if needed is on back order... may end up stranded over 2k miles from home...purchased in Florida... when does a vehicle qualify as a lemon?
Some information regarding your code and GM documentaton here P20EE - Chevrolet Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Definition, Causes and Diagnosis

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've been in the same boat. I lost use of my truck for almost a month, about 30 days after taking delivery of it. All over a $100 part. Hence the tagline in my signature that %83 of the time, my truck works every time. Of the time I've owned it, %17 of the time it's been in the shop.

I know nothing about FL lemon law, but I lived in CA when I bought my truck. I called around and found an attorney that gave me a few minutes of time to explain the lemon law buyback process... basically you first have to follow the 'binding arbitration' clause in your purchase agreement. If you tell GM you want to explore a buy back, they may send the case to a third party arbitrator (that they pay for, so you know who's side they are on) The arbitrator will propose a settlement, usually pretty low. They usually first propose a 'trade value replacement' - so you buy another GM vehicle.

If that all fails or you are unhappy with what the arbitrator proposes, you can sue GM. That's a nightmare. From what the attorney explained to me, it's hardly worth it, ever. It would cost more than the truck is worth to fight GM on it. They have a building full of lawyers on staff, you do not.

Here's what I would consider doing - Used truck values are through the roof right now. Especially HD diesels, due to COVID production issues. Id look around and see if you could sell/trade it for a good price, and take what you get for it and buy something else. At 11k lbs, I would seriously consider an HD gasser. Thats' where I am at personally. I tow 7500 lbs, and am looking at the Ford Ecoboost or the new 7.3 gas super duty. I love towing with the Duramax, but if you ask me GM quality is rock bottom right now - between all the union strikes and COVID. I dread using my truck anymore because I know it will break down again, just a matter of time. I think the Ford 7.3 is a great option right now, I drove a Newmar motorhome with one and it is an amazing improvement over the V10.

The Ford dealer where I live is offering me almost what I paid for my truck to do a trade, which is insane if you ask me... Just because 3500 HD trucks cannot be had around here.

If you really want to keep the Diesel thing going, call around and find a dealer who would be willing to work with you on a trade in. Just know all the trucks are built with the same crappy parts...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Washington State is after 3 times to the dealer for the same problem without rectification, it is determined to be a lemon. But like someone said every state is different at some level.

·
Registered
731 Posts

Call a lawyer........
Not exactly there is a LOT more to it than that... Need to do some research and Read Your Manual. You have agreed to other provisions as well. Due diligence will pay off---state laws vary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine is a 2021 denial 2500hd 130 mile same code came up , went to dealers , did a so called up date cleared code , drove it 100 miles code comes up again , dealer up dated again cleared code , driving now I'm expecting it to come on again , 78 thousand for a 100 mile truck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your feedback, I've got GM Customer Care involved and they seem to be proactive but you know they're gonna try the least expensive route first.
Greetings. I thought I'd follow up as my truck is in the shop due to NOX sensor replacement. My service advisor can't seem to find the part anywhere. Did your issue get resolved? TIA

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Greetings. I thought I'd follow up as my truck is in the shop due to NOX sensor replacement. My service advisor can't seem to find the part anywhere. Did your issue get resolved? TIA
They initially thought it might be the NOX sensor but after following their step by step process they determined it to be clogged def injector if I recall. Might not be the proper name for the part. The NOX sensor was on back order when I had my issue and would have been a huge problem for us since we were in our camper on the other side of the country.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
L5P has 8 fuel injectors in cylinder
It has one fuel injector in the exhaust to provide fuel for when it regens.
It has one def injector, that pumps def whenever it is running.

DEF injector is a correct name.
If it isn't injecting as much def as it thinks it is, that could lead to a suspected bad NOx sensor
(NOx level not reducing as much as expected between the 2 NOx sensors )

Reactions: LandoSystem

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
L5P has 8 fuel injectors in cylinder
It has one fuel injector in the exhaust to provide fuel for when it regens.
It has one def injector, that pumps def whenever it is running.

DEF injector is a correct name.
If it isn't injecting as much def as it thinks it is, that could lead to a suspected bad NOx sensor
(NOx level not reducing as much as expected between the 2 NOx sensors )
Thats exactly what it ended up being. To corporate Chevys credit they did all they could to get it fixed as fast as possible with the dealer and gave me a $500 credit for the Chevy store.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts