Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
It would be nice if GM would just put the DEF fill on the other side if the truck instead of under the hood. I guess they think we are all morons, and would put diesel in a blue-capped spout.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Most I have put in is like 3.5 gallons and that was below the 100 mile alert.

·
Registered
412 Posts
MidnightHD, you say that they would put DEF into fuel tank or fuel into DEF tank with the Blue capped spout but it does happen even to "truck" guys!!! Local ford dealer did it to a 2016 ford because he had the truck sold and was in a hurry to get it prepped to deliver.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, when I see a blue cap, my brain automatically knows that that spout is not meant for diesel. The color codingfor diesel has always been green for ss long as I've been on this earth, which is 41yrs. I would't make that mistake even if I was drunk, or even high. But hey, s$!t happens apparently.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I believe it also has to do with the size of the fuel tank. I imagine that they would have to sacrifice some of the capacity if they also had the DEF tank on the inside of the frame rail on the driver side.

To the OP-

I add when I get the first low message. I can usually add a full 5 gallons that I buy on sale at the local farm store (I check the date stamp to ensure that it is not old).

·
Registered
477 Posts
I get the 2.5 gallon Blue DEF from NAPA or Wal Mart and add it when I get the first warning. Always check the date code before buying it.

I've only had to add it twice since owning the truck, I let the dealer top it off when they did my free oil changes, but I've used those up so I'm on my own now.

The location is mildly inconvenient, but the Blue DEF jug has a long spout that makes it easier, just make sure you screw it on tight with the vent on top.

I just wish there was a gauge instead of an idiot light.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have filled twice since I bought the truck with 12k miles. Once right after I bought it, and then again 4k miles later. This time I let it drain down to about 19%, then filled it with 5 gallons. We will see how long that lasts. They only had SuperTech Walmart brand, we will see how that works. I can't see paying more money for the same stuff. I had heard that WalMart buys DEF from Peak. Don't know if that is true or not.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have filled twice since I bought the truck with 12k miles. Once right after I bought it, and then again 4k miles later. This time I let it drain down to about 19%, then filled it with 5 gallons. We will see how long that lasts. They only had SuperTech Walmart brand, we will see how that works. I can't see paying more money for the same stuff. I had heard that WalMart buys DEF from Peak. Don't know if that is true or not.
I think the biggest issue is age, as long as it's fresh you should be ok.

·
Registered
20 Posts
To the op, as soon as I get the first warning at 20 something percent, I add a 2.5 gal. Box of blue DEF, which brings it back to near full, and I'm good to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
At 29%, I should have 1.45 gallons left. I'll be 1.05 gallons short of full using a 2.5 gallon jug which is a common size in most places I shop. If the DEF didn't freeze it would make life easier, but in the north those jugs has to be split in order to compensate for freezing and it is hard to pour a block of ice into a truck at -40c/-40f. Gas stations are few and far between. I agree on the gauge comment and I would move the tank if I had a choice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
To Doverarjim,
I didn't make myself clear above, I think it would be great if GM would put the DEF spout on the the other side of the truck (symetrically) with a cover flap just like the one where the diesel flap is, or even on the upper front fender quadrant just a few inches below where the radio antenna is located. I also agree that a separate DEF gauge would be more efficient, and less of a pain in the [email protected]$ for the owner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If the gauge can tell you when you reach 29%, why can't it tell you if you have 90%? This would help when filling, like pour 2.5 gallons in, run it and see where the gauge is. A dip stick or some other means to identify just how full the tank is. At 25% or 1.25 gallons, I added 3.5 gallons.

·
Registered
1 Posts
when do I add def to my 6,6 gmc danalia, my spout to resevore is broken can I stiil add def to to tank. can I replace just the spout in the tank. also hpw about my fuel water separator how often to exchange the water sperator . thanks hope someong can give me the correct info, thanks freiends, jessie lewis. my email is [email protected]

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm also a newb to diesel and DEF. Everyone is saying to make sure it is fresh, but nobody has said how long the shelf life is on this stuff? Is 6 months too old? 1 yr? 3 months?

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Stuff has a shelf life of 1 year

21 - 40 of 40 Posts