Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am pulling a trailer that probably has a combined weight with load of 10,000 lbs. at what weight is it necessary to turn off overdrive?

·
Registered
183 Posts
x2....i understand that there is od in tow haul but when do i use tow haul i plan on getting efi soon and i hear guys run in all the time with programmers doesnt that kill fuel milage?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes i am talking about when you hold down the tow haul button and the OD light with the slash comes on. i know it is better for the truck to use this with HEAVY loads, but i was wondering how heavy before i need to use it

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
no need to at 10k. hell i had 28k behind me once in OD

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
There's no need with 10K. I really don't see any need ever to disable it. usually the tranny will help itself out by downshifting when you slow down too much, and it won't upshift until it feels like it :) Just put it in T/H and go!

·
Registered
687 Posts
I agree. I pull a trailer with my tractor and a 4-wheeler. Total is right at 10k. T/H mode is all I need. The DM pulls it like it's not there. T/H helps by changing shift points higher in RPM range and downshifts automatically when decelerating. I love my DM!

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
Put it in TH and go.

On our trucks the OD is not a true OD. Its just called that for some reason. I would assume because it is hard to write 5th gear lockout on the dahs and put a light behind it, plus it is not bilingual

Weve grossed over 40k with our trucks and cruise in 5th gear with a mild tune it them all day.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
only turn off OD when the tranny is shifting in and out of OD...that is the rule of thumb....if it holds OD, you are fine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Only turn off OD when the tranny is shifting in and out of OD...that is the rule of thumb....if it holds OD, you are fine.
Could not have said it better myself...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.