Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title says.. where are you guys mounting the HID Ballast at? Also i'm planning on buying 6k lights but dont know what bulb to run. Truck is currently at buddies from a rough night last night and i want to buy them tonight but am i correct to think they are 9006 bulbs? What about fogs? HI and Low beams the same?

Thanks

Nick

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
I mounted one of them on my passenger side inside the airbox....but I have an open type

On the other side I know I screw one into the side of the fuse box...for the life of me can't remember where I put the other one on that side.

It's easy to find a spot on our trucks...I put 3 sets hi/lo/fogs on my wifes mazda3....now those were tight fits

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
The bulbs #'s are: Highs - 9006, Lows - 9005, Fogs - 9145.

I beleive these are the correct #'s

Thats how my GMC is. Your 2002 maybe different.

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
Be sure and get the ones with the "slim ballast" , takes up way less space.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do the slims heat up faster and draw less? I bought a set for my sled and i have the thicker ballasts and they seem to work good but switching from hi to low isnt really a pain but i can tell they need to warm up.

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
I got the newer ones for the truck, still have a set of the old thicker ones on the GF's car, haven't noticed any issues. Just nice to have them be smaller.

·
Banned
24,083 Posts
I got a set from bfxenon and mouted them right behind the marker lights with some zip ties. Came out pretty good.

Now I just bought a det for the highs and fogs.... thats gonna be interesting :rolleyes:

·
Registered
987 Posts
when i got my HID's they came with a bracket that fit right behind the headlights/marker lights. i just took the 2 bolts out of the plastic shroud and bolted the brackets in place! looks very clean and you cant see them unless you take the headlights out!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I mounted mine on the Airbox and tucked em in the bumper for my fogs

·
Its just a worktruck
19 Sierra
13,908 Posts
when i got my HID's they came with a bracket that fit right behind the headlights/marker lights. i just took the 2 bolts out of the plastic shroud and bolted the brackets in place! looks very clean and you cant see them unless you take the headlights out!
Thats where mine are!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Thats where mine are!
yeah the 2 bolts were spaced just far enough apart to get the low beam and fog light ballast in there without any issues!

·
Registered
225 Posts
mounted my p/s ballast to the side of my airbox, and the d/s i mounted to the inside of my front fender with double stick velcro...i think its still there :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
where did you guys buy your HID kit from.. for the guys that put it on with the two bolts?

·
Registered
987 Posts
tspny.com is where i got mine

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have them in hi lo fog
and my hi and lo I mounted on the radiator support behind the grille
and the fogs I zipp tied to the inner bumper support
and if you do the allon mod you don't have to worry about warmup when going to hi because your lows stay on

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.