Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 04 3500 LLY had a knock did as much homework as I knew how to do called a mechanic scanned it with Tech 2 and said it had bad injectors replaced #3-#7 injectors started ran for about 15 minutes knock was coming and going Started blowing smoke out exhaust lost a cyl. with bad crankcase pressure (blowby) tore down engine and #3 piston was GONE rod is bent. wrist pin scored cylinder wall beyond repair at least .040 deep so if anyone on hear could help me with info on where to purchase a long or short block engine I sure would be Thankful Thanks Kirk

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
are you sure its an LLY.

Injector problems are not unheard of but they sure aren't common in the LLY's (04.5-early06)

LB7's on the otherhand (01-04)

Please look at your VIN and tell us what the 8th character is.

·
Registered
20,031 Posts
Sometimes you can find good low mileage motors. Call a dealer and see what a remand short block or long block cost. U might just get a parts salesman like me who will deal with you. I know Ford offers engine rebuild kits but not sure about Chevy. That's another option.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
a rebuild kit is likely not in his best interests as he will likely have to go .060 over with his block to even salvage his current motor....I know .060 is very tolerable but not what you would desire

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
are you wanting to build it back to stock? or are you looking for aftermarket components?

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
I suggest you find a used engine-- rebuilt and labor will cost just about what the truck is worth--- after it is repaired.

If you buy a rebuilt engine they might charge extra for a core-- as the cylinder is to bad to be used, unless someone sleeves it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I am thinking a a reman block, I could save the head (minor damage), I am a welder by trade and tig is my best trait. or I could just buy a block rod piston etc.and do a ground up build I just want to do it right and not have problems (Oh' stock and 8th. character is (2) I looked again Thank's for all your response Kirk ,Here is pic of what I found. big end rod feels good

Attachments

·
Registered
872 Posts
sounds like injectors are the least of your problem

·
Registered
136 Posts
holy sh!t thats how the engine was together? there is no piston.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know I called them, said they never took report on stolen piston. yes this is what I saw when I removed head.I may just sleeve it, used to do it, no longer have boring bar still have good sunen hones bore indicator etc. etc. use to build race motors cars and bikes there is a good local machine shop I could use Thank's for input Kirk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has anyone on hear ever sleeved a duramax block before, or does anyone know where i could find a short or long block Thank's Kirk

·
Registered
648 Posts
Free bump for ya, I know this is a month old but I'm looking for a short block as well (LMM though) Called the dealer and as far as they knew, GM only sold long blocks for the DMAXes. They wanted 7300 and had a core charge of 3K... They wont be getting a core since I'm keeping the stocker and building a motor from the ground up! Salvage yards are no luck as well from here to Minneapolis....Fack! You find anywhere to locate one?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Block Duramax

I bought a short block from Tony Burkhard at all season diesel as far as I know he doesn't have knew ones but does have alot of blocks and engines

·
Premium Member
3,432 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,432 Posts
BTW, high balance rates don't always mean the injector is bad, it could mean the injector is trying really hard to compensate for something else, like low compression caused by a broken piston, etc.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
There's motors all over Craigslist. Long blocks and short blocks or full engines. If there isn't any in your area check your surrounding areas. They're everywhere.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 18 of 18 Posts