Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
552 Posts
What’s “better”?

It‘s fuel, it all meets the same requirements. Some stations carry a “Gold” diesel that has higher cetane rating, but I’ve never seen any improvements using it.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What’s “better”?

It‘s fuel, it all meets the same requirements. Some stations carry a “Gold” diesel that has higher cetane rating, but I’ve never seen any improvements using it.
I heard Shell is better than Krist oil, ect?
my first Diesel fuel vehicle, just checking.
If you can find a top tier diesel station. Basically none around my area. Will need to do a search in your area.
Any brand name oil companies that you know of?

· Registered
1,408 Posts
I heard Shell is better than Krist oil, ect?
my first Diesel fuel vehicle, just checking.

Any brand name oil companies that you know of?
Various ones, but greatly depends on location. Check here, but ultimately it would be better to use a diesel additive like Hot Shots or Optilube in every tank.

· Registered
2,044 Posts
B5-B20 supposedly is best for your fuel pump if you have a 2011-2016. And just so there's no confusion, it'll all be ULSD, that's been the law in the states for several years now. Agree on using the additives if you don't find Biodiesel in your area, even on top of the Bio if you like. There's no such thing as too much lube in these things.

· Registered
2006 LBZ, 2009 LML, 2022 L5P. 1993 6.5 parked in the shed.
1,654 Posts
Truck stops might be a good place to start?
Truck stop diesel only excels in one area, being expensive, other than that it's minimum spec, and fine to use. Bio at percentages under 20 is decent fuel, as long as it's reasonably fresh, but you may want to avoid it in the winter months.

Costco's that sell diesel sell 'Top Tier' diesel.

Where are you from?

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
B5-B20 supposedly is best for your fuel pump if you have a 2011-2016. And just so there's no confusion, it'll all be ULSD, that's been the law in the states for several years now. Agree on using the additives if you don't find Biodiesel in your area, even on top of the Bio if you like. There's no such thing as too much lube in these things.
Thanks

· Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
2,479 Posts
I would avoid the bio diesel. Does more harm than good by attracting water.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Truck stop diesel only excels in one area, being expensive, other than that it's minimum spec, and fine to use. Bio at percentages under 20 is decent fuel, as long as it's reasonably fresh, but you may want to avoid it in the winter months.

Costco's that sell diesel sell 'Top Tier' diesel.

Where are you from?
I live in the upper Peninsula of Michigan, almost Canada

· Registered
552 Posts
Like I said, every station that has diesel it will be ultra low sulfur diesel, every one. That is required by law to be used in Diesel engines.

I recommend biodiesel. I’ve been running it for as long as it’s been a thing and it’s been great. Never had water in fuel issues or a CP4 failure. I think the stuff is great.

Personally I have never run a fuel additive, I think it’s a complete waste of money. I’ve been running Duramax trucks since they came out and have never run an additive and have never had a single fuel related issue ever.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Like I said, every station that has diesel it will be ultra low sulfur diesel, every one. That is required by law to be used in Diesel engines.

I recommend biodiesel. I’ve been running it for as long as it’s been a thing and it’s been great. Never had water in fuel issues or a CP4 failure. I think the stuff is great.

Personally I have never run a fuel additive, I think it’s a complete waste of money. I’ve been running Duramax trucks since they came out and have never run an additive and have never had a single fuel related issue ever.
I’ve read most of the problems with CP4 are due to running crappy or higher Sulfur fuels, the additives help with Lubricity, to help lube fuel, which helps the CP4. Cheaper than replacing the pump.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.