Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to order an Oil filter for my truck and an Oil filter for my Allison..AND Oil for my truck. What is the best place online to order all this stuff? I paid WAY too much at the GM dealer last time. (I know I"m dumb). And is it worth changing the oil in my Allison?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Well, we can help you out with that!

We get all our filters from Amsoil, as they are made by Donaldson. Good filters, fair prices. As for oil, there's the Amsoil 15W40 Diesel oil, and for the Allison, we have Amsoil synthetic ATF. As for the value of it, how many miles on the truck? Your transmission holds 13 qts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fleetfilter is another online source.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
sorry for hijacking the thread but i have a question for Diesel nut,what oils(nothing but amsoil will do)would you recommend for my 06 GMC Allison tranny,rearend and engine oil(such as what weight and if i should run fully synthetic)

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just converted my '07 over to Amsoil, 15W40 engine, 75W90 in front and rear diffs, Amsoil torque drive ATF transmission and msoil Cetane boost and conditioner in the fuel! See Amsoil.com for part numbers for oil, air,trans filter!

Cheerz

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Motor - 15W40 (AME) Diesel and Marine oil - 10 qts
Transmission - Kinda different. See, the 5 speed Allisons called for either the Amsoil Synthetic ATF or the Torque drive, which is a mirror of Allisons TranSynd® fluid, but less expensive. Now, the 6 speed version is showing only the ATF as the proper fluid. Your transmission will hold 13qts, but you'll probably only get half of that out at a time, without some extra effort.
T case is ATF
Gears - Unless you are pulling some god aweful loads, 75W90 is plenty of viscosity. Amsoil's severe gear is the best in the industry hands down. You'll be looking for about 6 qts for front and rear.

n0useforaname -
As for your transmission, if you like, you can, but you don't really need to. The spin on filter will trap all the particulate created during the break in cycle, and changing that is a great idea. AS for the fluid, you should be fine up to the first scheduled service, unless you have been real rough on it. If you are buying service parts from the dealer, my bet is you drive it decently.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've already changed my engine oil and filter...and my tranny filter. I'm just preparing for next time which will be in 3,000 miles. I don't drive my truck hard....or pull heavy loads. I just don't want to pay $98.00 for a change again. And I want to have everything "At hand" when I do again. I would like to order this online...so would you be able to tell me exactly what and how much engine oil to order from you, what filter to order, and what tranny filter to order? Plus I don't have a Magnet on my tranny filter...never came with one. And if I don't need to change the tranny fluid...I'm not..but if it will benefit me in the long run...I want to. So if you feel I should change it...could you please quote me that too? Thanx. Oh..and do you have a website I can order and pay from?

·
Registered
53 Posts
For what its worth, 15w40 Diesel is $56 a case (of gallons) at Costco. No idea if this is a good price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.