Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the factory exhaust system from my 2011 LML with about 10-15k miles on it. I sold the truck for a new one and now have this in the way. I know that I can put it in the classifieds here (for scrap of course) but what can I get for the system? Does anyone know where else I am offload this at? Thanks for your help!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
341 Posts
I used Green County Auto Core 918-770-1374 based out of Oklahoma but travel all over the place.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I see guys looking to buy them all the time on my local craigslist. I think they gather up a bunch of 'em and truck 'em to Cali to replace all the DPFs and CATs that everybody threw away before the 2 year DEQ inspection was implemented.

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
Local craigslist is your best bet. Youll be able to get (if buyers are willing pay) good money for them.

·
Registered
341 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I will call green county today. I called a company based out of houston yesterday and they offered me 140 for the exhaust. 200-300 sounds like a better deal to me. I found one for sale on eBay with 20 thousand miles on it for 1300 bucks. Do yall think its worth that? Any more places to call to try to sell? Thanks again!

·
Registered
431 Posts
craigslist. sold my dpf and cat, gave him the def tank too for $350

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've seen other folks selling the DPF injectors and NOX sensors on eBay before.

·
Vendor
1,766 Posts
Don't sell your stock exhaust you cant trade them in without it and a new system cost around 3k and the only place you can get one is the dealer

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have always wondered what the insurance implications are when you get in a accident, and your truck has to be rebuilt. If you delete, you are not really worried about the OEM warrantee, but can they legally rebuild your truck without the emissions equipment?

Anybody out there faced this? At 60K plus for a new truck I am guessing that most get rebuilt after a wreck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ive sold all my stuff. Some dealerships may say something down the road, mines pretty laid back.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have always wondered what the insurance implications are when you get in a accident, and your truck has to be rebuilt. If you delete, you are not really worried about the OEM warrantee, but can they legally rebuild your truck without the emissions equipment?

Anybody out there faced this? At 60K plus for a new truck I am guessing that most get rebuilt after a wreck.
Around here, there's no inspection for a collision repair, even if it's 50k of damage on a 60k truck. The body shop fixes what's broken, it's not their job to inspect emissions equipment.

However, if the vehicles is declared "salvage" because the repair cost exceeds the vehicle value, it will be inspected. Theoretically, a salvage vehicle can't be economically repaired. But long ago, people were buying them, doing garbage repairs, and selling them to unsuspecting people. So the rules were changed, and now salvage vehicles get an extensive inspection, and are forever branded with rebuild status. I don't know they verify original emissions equipment during the inspection, but the good news is that it's not really your problem unless you want to buy the salvage vehicle. It's something you can look into for your state laws before you buy back your vehicle.

FWIW, I kept my DPF/Cat in case emissions testing ever comes back here.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I sold the truck that the Dpf and cat I have go to. My new lml has all emissions intact(for now). I don't think I have any use for the old exhaust anymore since I got rid of the truck. I searched the tempest website that searches all of craigslist and came up with 5 or 6 people within 700 miles that buy cats and dpf's. So far I've got an offer for 200 and they say since the price of platinum is down Is this a good deal or should I just hang on to it until platinum goes back up?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Well I sold the truck that the Dpf and cat I have go to. My new lml has all emissions intact(for now). I don't think I have any use for the old exhaust anymore since I got rid of the truck. I searched the tempest website that searches all of craigslist and came up with 5 or 6 people within 700 miles that buy cats and dpf's. So far I've got an offer for 200 and they say since the price of platinum is down Is this a good deal or should I just hang on to it until platinum goes back up?

Holding onto it is no different from selling it now, and using some of the money to buy some platinum futures. Except the platinum futures don't take up space in your garage. If you do think that platinum will go up a worthwhile amount in the short term, you should be investing in it.

I'd just sell it.

PMs have been overvalued in the last 10 years or so, and they're returning to more typical prices. I don't think that there's any good reason to expect that prices will go up by any significant amount. They could just as easily fall further.

And at this point, a bunch of end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it types will come on and talk about what a great investment gold/PMs are right now...

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Holding onto it is no different from selling it now, and using some of the money to buy some platinum futures. Except the platinum futures don't take up space in your garage. If you do think that platinum will go up a worthwhile amount in the short term, you should be investing in it.

I'd just sell it.

PMs have been overvalued in the last 10 years or so, and they're returning to more typical prices. I don't think that there's any good reason to expect that prices will go up by any significant amount. They could just as easily fall further.

And at this point, a bunch of end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it types will come on and talk about what a great investment gold/PMs are right now...
Just so you know, diesel CATs don't contain platinum like gasoline CATs do. They are mostly ceramic, no precious metals, or at least not enough to make them worth salvaging. The best market for DPFs and CATs is sunny Kalifornia, where everybody tossed theirs a few years ago and need them back to get DEQ'd.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
How much to shop to nj 07712 and ur best price

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Let me see what it will cost to ship it. It might be a few day before I can make it to ups but I will let you know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts