Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving along quite happily, engine cut out.

Probably lack of fuel, the gauge wasn't showing empty but it's the lowest I've run it so I'm assuming the gauge is reading a bit high

Switched to reserve tank, plenty of turning over but no hint of starting.

I'm guessing the fuel pump needs priming (sound right?)

The problem is finding it, I've spent about 4 hours looking for the fuel pump but there's so many pipes and wires covering where I think it is I'd like some idea before I start dismantling stuff in the wrong place

It seems obvious - follow the injectors to the common rail, then the pump, easier said than done in this engine bay.

I think it's top, passenger-side of engine, there seems to be bosch injection stuff there but I'll have to do some serious dismantling of intercooler, air inlet hoses etc to get at it - and I'm not certain it's there anyway

Anyone have any diagrams or pictures of exactly where the priming pump is located?

I don't have any manuals (and no idea where to get them although I'd welcome suggestions)- there are no GM workshops here - the truck is stuck a few miles away and I need to get it home

Am I right in thinking it probably needs priming?
Any ideas where the primer pump is?

6.6 Duramax, probably new in 2005

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
it is the silver button on top of the fuel filter. We have no lift pump on our trucks. Check out this link for the manuals: Manuals and DTC List The picture you are looking for is in the duramax diesel supplement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks very much - I've seen the filter - was concentrating on finding the pump which must be buried under a ton of pipework, will try it out tomorrow. Thanks for the link to the manual - very handy. I'm kinda out on a limb here in the UK, nobody seems to know anything about them. Thanks again - you've saved me a load of grief

1 - 3 of 3 Posts