Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Which Cold air intake?

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  054x4dmax 
#1 ·
I am sort of a diesel rookie, so please pardon all the questions.

1- I want to add more HP/Torque, quicker accellerator response to my stock
2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD D/A. Will a new cold air intake do just that?

2- Which cold air intake brand would you reccommend?

3- Do I also need to add a larger exhaust?

4- What would fit my needs(refer to 1) better, a cold air intake with a 4" exhaust upgrade? or a 4" exhaust upgrade with a diesel tuner (ex: PPE/ Diablo)?

Sorry for all the questions, any advise would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I too am somewhat of a diesel rookie. But I would say if you add a cold air intake, allowing your engine to breath more, you would need a bigger exhaust to let more out. Plus it sounds good!
As far as adding more HP, a tuner, especially PPE will add way more than you could get with a exhaust and cold air intake, but it is usually recommended that you have a larger exhaust and gauges to monitor your Egt's and boost. So it basically depends on how much of a increase your looking for.

#3 ·
for the "rookies". a CAI isnt really needed till 500+hp. however if id have to choose one again, id still say S&B. its the best bang for you buck to say the least. i have one and i love it.

as for exhaust. id say 4" straight pipe and if you wanted to add a tuner id say either PPE or the Quad S2 since you have the LB7

#8 ·
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

he does have the best deals ...get urself a package , u will luv the difference

and gain 3-4 more MPG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.