Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a used Silverado with the Duramax. If you had the choice, which model year would you buy between 2001 and 2005? And why did you pick that over the others? Thanks for any help.

James

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ditto

Okay guys and gals, it's been a few weeks and no one has answered this question. I'm new to this forum and I'm wondering the same thing. I'm looking at buying an 03 or 04 and I'm getting the feeling I should avoid the LLY engine. Is this correct? Is 03 a good solid year for the Duramax/Allison combo? I'm looking for an 03 or early 04 crew cab short bed 4x4 in black or dark gray. Someone please please please give me some feedback on this inquiry!

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
other than the early lb7's i there arent really any problems with any of them. my sefl i would only buy an 04,5 and up truck, just because i like the way that they run alot better, and i love the VVT turbo! but if your going to go with a lb7 i would stick with an 03 or early 04 just because the ones that do have injector issues are mainly 01 and 02 trucks!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
the lb7 are easier to mod if your just going to mod a stock engine. If you are going to mod out a truck to the max, new turbo and such, then its a toss up, as the lly has came a long way with the help of EFI and such .

·
Registered
4 Posts
You guys are awesome! Thanks for a fast response. I'm not planning on doing a whole bunch of modifications to the truck. I'm used to a 5.3 chevy gasser with almost no mods, probably around 290-300 hp, so if this will be comparable but have more trailer-pulling torque, I'll be happy. It's possible I will change exhaust and install a chip, but other than that, I'm not going to go crazy with it (not that that's a bad thing, but the old axiom comes to mind "speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?). Considering I'm planning on leaving it basically stock, and that I'm in the $24k-$29k price range, what would you recommend. Thanks again yall!

Luke

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
The dmax will totally blow your mind compared to a 5.3 towing, And for that price range you should be able to find a fairly loaded good milage dmax, at least in this area anyhow!!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would have to say get an 03 or early 04 LB7, or a 05 LLY. I dont know about the 04.5 LLY i think it had some overheating issues and such!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts