Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m finally about to “D” my 2016 3500 duramax! However I can only get a hold to two exhaust systems. Afe 5” with exhaust turbo back or Afe 4” with exhaust turbo back! What’s the main differences between the two, what should I get, please help me out!

·
Registered
916 Posts
5" is usually deeper sounding than 4". I personally run 5" on my trucks. I get straight pipe units, then install FTE resonator if need be to reduce drone and muffle sound. They come in 17" or 30". I run the 17". Still on the louder side with much reduced drone.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The stock exhaust diameter, according to Walker Muffler, is 3.5" I.D. It's too cold for me to go out and crawl under my truck to measure and besides, I'm lazy. If there was any power to be gained on a stock truck by going to a larger pipe they would have done it at the factory. It would have been just a few bucks at that level and even 5 hp would have been worth the price. Had GM put a 6 inch exhaust on the truck, people would have been selling 8 inch pipes.

If you keep the catalytic converter it seems to do a lot for drone and doesn't hurt performance at stock levels. Of course if you plan to go to 700 HP some day then bigger will be better.

Otherwise, bigger is just bigger.

My wife's car is 1.6L and it rumbles like a truck. Exhaust tone is a function of many different parameters and if you want rumble you can get it from a stock sized pipe.

If you want turbo whistle you can get an exhaust tip that does just that. But if you really want it to sing you need an aftermarket compressor wheel.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=duramax+turbo+wheel&ref=nb_sb_noss

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
So I’m finally about to “D” my 2016 3500 duramax! However I can only get a hold to two exhaust systems. Afe 5” with exhaust turbo back or Afe 4” with exhaust turbo back! What’s the main differences between the two, what should I get, please help me out!
If you really plan to D your 2016 i think the 4 and the 5 are likely too big.... :wink2:

5" should be a little louder, little more rumbly, and the 4" will likely be quieter with less drone. I would go 4" unless you are making serious power. Turbo screams on my 4", either way i think you will be fine there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you really plan to D your 2016 i think the 4 and the 5 are likely too big.... [img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/DuramaxForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/img]

5" should be a little louder, little more rumbly, and the 4" will likely be quieter with less drone. I would go 4" unless you are making serious power. Turbo screams on my 4", either way i think you will be fine there.
Yea I’m running PPEI tunes, top tune is 200hp. So not really into major HP, looking for the benefit of a “D” truck and amazing sound, but not that drone!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Which exhaust would give me more turbo whistle?
...but not that drone!
You can't get maximum turbo sound without drone. For maximum turbo noise you would want a straight pipe with no muffler, but you will get some drone. To have no drone you have to have a muffler, and even with a muffler some aftermarket exhaust will still drone at interstate speeds.
Personally, I like 4" with no muffler and an aftermarket downpipe, good exhaust note, pretty loud when into the throttle, but no problems at all having a conversation in the truck no matter the speed. That is assuming a rear exit, if you do an axle dump then that is a different story.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The stock exhaust diameter, according to Walker Muffler, is 3.5" I.D. It's too cold for me to go out and crawl under my truck to measure and besides, I'm lazy. If there was any power to be gained on a stock truck by going to a larger pipe they would have done it at the factory. It would have been just a few bucks at that level and even 5 hp would have been worth the price. Had GM put a 6 inch exhaust on the truck, people would have been selling 8 inch pipes.

If you keep the catalytic converter it seems to do a lot for drone and doesn't hurt performance at stock levels. Of course if you plan to go to 700 HP some day then bigger will be better.

Otherwise, bigger is just bigger.

My wife's car is 1.6L and it rumbles like a truck. Exhaust tone is a function of many different parameters and if you want rumble you can get it from a stock sized pipe.

If you want turbo whistle you can get an exhaust tip that does just that. But if you really want it to sing you need an aftermarket compressor wheel.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=duramax+turbo+wheel&ref=nb_sb_noss
I don't think most people get an aftermarket exhaust for power, but for sound. The stock exhaust is the epitome of bland, all the beautiful exhaust notes the engine makes being caged. A good exhaust adds character and excitement, just as Rudolph Diesel intended.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
1965 Impalla Super Sport, 327c.i. 300hp, posi, 4 on the floor, with duals and glass packs but the guts were gone from the glass packs. 15 y.o. with a brand new driver's license. Everybody knew where I was. 50 years later and I just don't enjoy the sound that much. Sensibilities change with time. Within reason I have no problem with a bit of rumble in someone else's vehicle but for myself I'll take a good muffler please.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the Banks 4" on my truck and I like it, it's not loud and I can hear my motor sounds which I like. Loud pipes will only cover up sounds that may warn me of problems on the truck, any noises don't go away by turning up my radio or having a louder exhaust because when problems do appear they have a tendency to be more acute.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Anyone running the afe 4” with muffler, if so can you please give some reviews! Or the afe 5”!

LMM with the AFE 4” Big bore stainless steel system with muffler. Truck is not loud at all, good turbo whine, nice deep rumble. No annoying drone whatsoever.

MBRP downpipe
Banks hot side boost tube
Stock intercooler
Stock manifolds
S&B intake
EFI Live tunes

IMO no need for 5” until you get over 600hp+

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone running the afe 4” with muffler, if so can you please give some reviews! Or the afe 5”!

LMM with the AFE 4” Big bore stainless steel system with muffler. Truck is not loud at all, good turbo whine, nice deep rumble. No annoying drone whatsoever.

MBRP downpipe
Banks hot side boost tube
Stock intercooler
Stock manifolds
S&B intake
EFI Live tunes

IMO no need for 5” until you get over 600hp+
Thanks, thinking about getting the 4” just hope it’s not too quiet!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts