Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I'll apologize in advance if this question has been beat to death but here it goes.

I have a 04 LB7 that has the dreaded haze at idle. A trusted local shop looked it over and determined that I have two bad injectors, the CP3 is strong, and the engine has good compression. The truck has 204k and I'm pretty sure injectors were replaced at around 140k. The truck is totally stock and I intend to keep it that way except for maybe going to a 4 or 5 inch exhaust. It has the CAT filter adapter. With all of that said, I'm torn between replacing the injectors with oe Bosch remans or S&S SAC00 remans. Also, debating adding a FASS lift pump with filters. The tech who did the diag recommended Bosch injectors and the FASS. He's never heard of the SAC00's and I'm having a hard time getting feedback on them from anybody besides the folks that sell them. They are $700 more per set and at that price I could do the oe injectors with a lift pump. Realistically I'll probably keep the truck another 100k mikes.

I would love opinions from those who have run both. Also, should I invest in the FASS for a stock truck? Will it increase the life of the oe or SAC injectors? Is the FASS as important with the SAC injectors? I feel like I'm getting 50/50 opinions from all the vendors I've called. No great consensus on the best route and a lot of unknown about the SAC injectors.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
17,559 Posts
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I'll apologize in advance if this question has been beat to death but here it goes.

I have a 04 LB7 that has the dreaded haze at idle. A trusted local shop looked it over and determined that I have two bad injectors, the CP3 is strong, and the engine has good compression. The truck has 204k and I'm pretty sure injectors were replaced at around 140k. The truck is totally stock and I intend to keep it that way except for maybe going to a 4 or 5 inch exhaust. It has the CAT filter adapter. With all of that said, I'm torn between replacing the injectors with oe Bosch remans or S&S SAC00 remans. Also, debating adding a FASS lift pump with filters. The tech who did the diag recommended Bosch injectors and the FASS. He's never heard of the SAC00's and I'm having a hard time getting feedback on them from anybody besides the folks that sell them. They are $700 more per set and at that price I could do the oe injectors with a lift pump. Realistically I'll probably keep the truck another 100k mikes.

I would love opinions from those who have run both. Also, should I invest in the FASS for a stock truck? Will it increase the life of the oe or SAC injectors? Is the FASS as important with the SAC injectors? I feel like I'm getting 50/50 opinions from all the vendors I've called. No great consensus on the best route and a lot of unknown about the SAC injectors.

Thanks for your help!
Stock truck or not, I invest in a lift pump to help with filtration and to help keep your injectors and cp3 happier. Look up Lincoln diesel specialtiea for your injectors needs. They are always having sells on them.
https://lincolndieselspecialties.com/

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
I would go Lincoln myself if your changing them yourself they have a kit if Im not mistaken that has the lines, the stock ones can be used but are usually corroded. Warranty-Warranty my main pet peeve!!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
SAC is the only way to go and they will live a way longer life. Also a Kennedy lift pump would be a good addition.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
While your in there replace the FPR as well!!! Especially if doing a lift pump. There is a kit on the website for injectors and a FASS pump. For the difference in price I would go new on the injectors as well SAC00-N.

·
Registered
207 Posts

Thanks for your help!

Im in the exact same boat here 214,XXX miles hazing at idle. So everyone is going with reman SAC00 and then a lift of our choice and also the FPR. So my question is everyone that has done this is in agreement that the reman Sac00's are superior? Is this a valid statement.
Also do you replace the cups? Im doing this myself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While your in there replace the FPR as well!!! Especially if doing a lift pump. There is a kit on the website for injectors and a FASS pump. For the difference in price I would go new on the injectors as well SAC00-N.
If going genuine Bosch or SAC00 is it really necessary to go new. It's my understanding that about the only thing that gets reused is the body. The ones you buy at the GM dealer are reman Bosch. Not trying to be a cheapskate but the cost of this project is adding up fast!

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,264 Posts
As time has shown, the OE VCO style injectors were prone to excessive wear with the quality of Diesel available (which worsened with the later ULSD). At the same time (’01-’03), the expensive stock fuel filter wasn’t up to the task.

It has the CAT filter adapter
So this $100 option hit the market with the original Sales pitch based on cost (OE $50+ vs $17), with better filtration specs a distant second.
But it had a big flaw; it was a secondary filter with no water protection. Particulate filtration was better, but with no water protection, it was a false (Con job) solution to the injector wear issue.

Years later, with the improved LLY/LBZ engines (SAC inj), the OE filter was also drastically improved with the Racor mfr’d two-stage Coalescing fuel filter.
This new filter had both the water protection AND particulate filtration specs (exceeding the CAT) that Bosch required for their injectors…making the CAT option obsolete.
And the cost came down....'bout $30 vs $17

And yet, 15 years later, it’s still promoted as the solution, AND a likely contributor to your now worn injectors issue.
Also, should I invest in the FASS for a stock truck?
The biggest advantage to a Lift Pump is the ability to easily add extra filtration/water removal to the fuel system.
With an aging fuel system, the positive pressure of the LP also helps to overcome various seal areas prone to leak that can suck air in, aerating the fuel feeding the CP3. It also can help with the tendency of old fuel lines collapsing under vacuum, limiting fuel supply along with the potential fuel limp.

Is the FASS as important with the SAC injectors?
No, it’s not.
But a LP/Aux Filter can be a beneficial mod, although, there are cheaper routes to go for a LP/extra filtration.

Realistically I'll probably keep the truck another 100k.
With the SAC style injectors; you’ll enjoy the trouble free miles that the rest of the Dmax community does for years on end…most likely well beyond the 100k that you estimate.

It’s a $70 per 10k mile investment…weighed against the high labor costs involved with the LB7 head design injector replacement. If you want the longevity, go with the SAC.

They'll last longer than the VOC ones, even with an added LP/filters + fuel additives...SACs will win.
And dump the adapter, install the TP3018 instead. :nerd:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As time has shown, the OE VCO style injectors were prone to excessive wear with the quality of Diesel available (which worsened with the later ULSD). At the same time (’01-’03), the expensive stock fuel filter wasn’t up to the task.

So this $100 option hit the market with the original Sales pitch based on cost (OE $50+ vs $17), with better filtration specs a distant second.
But it had a big flaw; it was a secondary filter with no water protection. Particulate filtration was better, but with no water protection, it was a false (Con job) solution to the injector wear issue.

Years later, with the improved LLY/LBZ engines (SAC inj), the OE filter was also drastically improved with the Racor mfr’d two-stage Coalescing fuel filter.
This new filter had both the water protection AND particulate filtration specs (exceeding the CAT) that Bosch required for their injectors…making the CAT option obsolete.
And the cost came down....'bout $30 vs $17

And yet, 15 years later, it’s still promoted as the solution, AND a likely contributor to your now worn injectors issue.

The biggest advantage to a Lift Pump is the ability to easily add extra filtration/water removal to the fuel system.
With an aging fuel system, the positive pressure of the LP also helps to overcome various seal areas prone to leak that can suck air in, aerating the fuel feeding the CP3. It also can help with the tendency of old fuel lines collapsing under vacuum, limiting fuel supply along with the potential fuel limp.

No, it’s not.
But a LP/Aux Filter can be a beneficial mod, although, there are cheaper routes to go for a LP/extra filtration.

With the SAC style injectors; you’ll enjoy the trouble free miles that the rest of the Dmax community does for years on end…most likely well beyond the 100k that you estimate.

It’s a $70 per 10k mile investment…weighed against the high labor costs involved with the LB7 head design injector replacement. If you want the longevity, go with the SAC.

They'll last longer than the VOC ones, even with an added LP/filters + fuel additives...SACs will win.
And dump the adapter, install the TP3018 instead. :nerd:
Thanks for the detailed reply!! What do you suggest for a cheaper LP/filtration setup? If I go with something like a FASS should I bypasss the stock filter?

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,264 Posts
There is no benefit to bypass the stock filter.
If you add an aux filter head ($30) for a primary FWS filter, it can be utilized as the new secondary filter.

Or, if you do install a dual filer setup, it becomes extra protection down the line.
And if the primary and secondary filters are doing their job, you should never have to change the stock filter again.

Some ideas;
https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/diy-tech-discussion/806281-my-lift-pump-kit.html

·
Registered
169 Posts
I run a lift pump with CAT filter and a Nicktane tall fuel filter setup in the stock position.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the great advice. I've kicked around the idea of trading this truck in but I'll likely end up with new headaches on a newer truck. Being that I may keep this truck for another 100k I think I'm going to go with SAC00's and a FASS or airdog and do it up right.

I did chat with Brent at LDS and he recommended going with SAC45's and a stock tune. I've read enough online that I'm concerned about drivability and smoke with that setup. I'm happy with stock power for what I tow and dont want to spend extra money on a tune.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,264 Posts
They've ran the 45s on stock for some time with no probs, before the 00s were available.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I know Kennedy highly recommends a tune to go along with SAC 45 and he has been dealing with these longer than most.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They've ran the 45s on stock for some time with no probs, before the 00s were available.
I've read about guys having idle issues, weird shifting and lots of smoke with a stock tune. A little extra hp is great but it's a lot of work if I dont like them. Do you have any personal experience with the 45's and a stock tune?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have sac 45 with tunes for them & mine hazes just slightly at idle. Sure runs good though, I only have 21K miles on them so far. There is a guy that posted on the other site that had over 40k on them several months ago.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have sac 45 with tunes for them & mine hazes just slightly at idle. Sure runs good though, I only have 21K miles on them so far. There is a guy that posted on the other site that had over 40k on them several months ago.
Theoretically the SAC00 should last just as long right?

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
You can leave the stock one if you want cant go wrong with a extra filter, I did for awhile but changed it and put a filter delete in when it was convenient for me. I did put all the stock water warning in the filter delete can though. I was so afraid to get one of those copy cat Bosch FPR than flooded the market I went with a "Standard brand" Red box. DONT buy one on Amazon!!!! Seems like mine has a lifetime warranty as well, 200.00 well spent. Mine came with new Allen head holds but i went back with the torqs mainly because I had already made a special tool to remove the pains in the A$$'s. Now is a good time to spend 100.00 and replace the airhorn if you have the money or even grind your stock one out at the neck. Lots of Videos on that on youtube. Only other little thing I did was put a PPE boost valve in the waste gate line, I dont over rev anyway so it just gives me a little more turbo rpm. I think the remans are just as good as the new ones myself, I did new ones though. I had already put a Fass Titanium on before it all so that was another story. CHECK the distributor and make sure there authorized to sell from FASS or no warranty. All prices are set on the pumps, but I got mine with a credit applied a day later for using paypal (used it to buy the delete filter). Pennies count in my world, so I will buy from another guy who is a nickle cheaper for same product and warranty in the mail order world. Good luck with the Injectors and your labor of love, thats what I call mine. Wife calls it bad names! FYI its a weekend job to do all that stuff so be aware, but its will save you thousands!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts