Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
I would say that it depends on your definition of better. Keep in mind that you're on a Duramax Forum inquiring "which is better?" One would surmise that the majority of members would say Duramax or they would be on a Cummins Forum. Best of luck with your survey.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I suppose it depends on what you're looking for in a truck. New Rams have totally blown Ford and GM away with the best interiors on the planet. The new HD's from GM appear to have the strongest chassis and drive trains out there. Fords win on looks in my opinion but not by a large margin. They all cost a lot of cash if buying new, so do your homework before driving one off of the sales lot.

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD WT, 6.6 Duramax (L5P) Crew Cab 4x4
73 Posts
I own a 2018 Duramax and will say they are all (Chevy, Ford, and Ram) about the same. Each has its pro's and con's. When I purchased mine I looked at all three seriously. I have always been a Chevy guy so that probably (along with cost) pushed me that way. I believe all 3 make you a good truck.

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts
The answer will vary.................

If you ask here, on a forum where nearly everyone has a Duramax...............you should expect us to tell you it is better

If you ask on a Cummins forum, I would expect them to say the Cummins was better..........

WHO is going to tell you they made a wrong choice.............NOT MANY!!

Good Luck selecting your new ride

Reactions: 2009GM

·
Registered
102 Posts
Test drive them all, and do it a few times. Of course it is a crapshoot since you can't test drive pulling your camper to see how it would really be.

I was a Ram guy. I had an 04.5, 07.5, and 15. The '15 is what irritated me the most with the 3.42 gears (of course they changed that now for '19 again). But after driving all 3 and weighing the pros and cons of each... I decided to go with the Chevy. I was a bit nervous about it, but now I am happy with my decision. Still miss the Cummins sometimes for the sound and ease of working around the engine. But ride comfort and how the Allison shifts underload is sooo much better (at least compared to the 68rfe). Also this L5P chugs great pulling up the hills too, even with me pulling a lot more this year.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: HWI and 2009GM

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I own a 2018 Duramax and will say they are all (Chevy, Ford, and Ram) about the same. Each has its pro's and con's. When I purchased mine I looked at all three seriously. I have always been a Chevy guy so that probably (along with cost) pushed me that way. I believe all 3 make you a good truck.
Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The answer will vary.................

If you ask here, on a forum where nearly everyone has a Duramax...............you should expect us to tell you it is better

If you ask on a Cummins forum, I would expect them to say the Cummins was better..........

WHO is going to tell you they made a wrong choice.............NOT MANY!!

Good Luck selecting your new ride
I got the point, yeah.

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
I've owned about every diesel they make other than a 6.7 powersroke. They have all there strengths and weaknesses. Drive them all and then pick what you want. Only one I would not reccomend would be a 6.0 powerstroke. Other than that do some research on all the engine models you're looking at and what transmission they done with. It depends on what you're doing with the truck also. Good luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Personal preference more than anything. I shopped all three for my first diesel, then I picked my 16 GMC because it was the best balance of interior feel and looks, exterior looks and performance (engine plus transmission) I shopped the top trim level in all three, 16-17 year models, low miles.
In my very humble opinion,
Dodge, Awesome engine. Not so super transmission. Interior pretty nice. Exterior, don't really care for. Feels very big truck like handling and ride.

Ford, Good engine. Good transmission. Interior really really nice. Exterior MEH, too boxy. Again, very big truck ride and handling.

GM Good engine (I do have the CP4 however...) Awesome transmission, Elegant interior and exterior. Rides like a Cadillac. Handles like a 1500. I primarily bought mine for road trips and longevity. I will rarely tow. It feels so much better purring down the interstate doing 80 getting 17MPG than my 1500 getting 9-12MPG.

·
Registered
597 Posts
You looking at new or used? Different generations of the different engines have certain quirks and/or issues. The current crop of all 3 are solid and all 3 make a ton of power. As has been said, I would test drive all 3 to make an informed decision. I really like my Duramax, but would have no problem running a Cummins or Power Stroke for the right price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts