Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im sure its been asked 100 times! But here it is again.. With specifics!

I want to lift my truck properly. I really only want to do a 6 inch, but want to run 37's. This is not a deal breaker, i could always do a wide 35.

I want good ride quality, but want off road capability. I want to run a dual shock set up in front, mostly for the look. I dont want to go broke doing it.

I have looked at the fabtech kits.

What is the best set up for the money?? I run a 20x9" wheel with -12 offset, and i will keep these, just go up in tire size.

If you have a pic of your set up that you recommend, please include it. The stance is very important to me in my decision as well.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Check out NorCal Trucks website. I would go with a Cognito 6" Non torsion bar drop style lift.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Without a doubt Cognito is the way to go. I mean its all personal opinion and there are lots out there but here is my rank of the major ones. Note I have only had one of these. However have read tons and tons over the last 6-7 years.

1. Cognito
2. Fabtech
3. Skjacker
4. BDS
5. Zone
6. Procomp

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
Well im sure its been asked 100 times! But here it is again.. With specifics!

I want to lift my truck properly. I really only want to do a 6 inch, but want to run 37's. This is not a deal breaker, i could always do a wide 35.

I want good ride quality, but want off road capability. I want to run a dual shock set up in front, mostly for the look. I dont want to go broke doing it.

I have looked at the fabtech kits.

What is the best set up for the money?? I run a 20x9" wheel with -12 offset, and i will keep these, just go up in tire size.

If you have a pic of your set up that you recommend, please include it. The stance is very important to me in my decision as well.

Thanks!!

Really what you are looking to gain is out there but taking a different approach at how you get to what kit is best you will want to back up and put name brands to the side to figure out the true height you are looking for based off your tire and wheel height and width. That will then narrow your options down and better reflect what will be the perfect option. All to often members face issues that are a result in purchasing the WRONG lift size matching the wheel and tire specs. 1 hick up many face is being scared there truck will end up too high so they think they need a smaller lift height. You want to reflect a lift set up in its prime suspension set height so its a true set up not something stretched out like when guys state they have a 6" lift but they made it into a 9" because of how the adjusted it, they don't work like that exactly. Sure you can adjust but that is when you gain the looks but the function lacks and you face problems in wear and failure, let alone the ride will suffer. So determining the lift height is the starting point.

37" will be alot for a 6" lift, yes we install 35"s on 4" lifts but the tire width gets wider on the 37"s and thus reason it takes more to clear at full lock.

37x13.50" tires on a 20x9 wheel with -12 offset = 5" back space you will want to look at a lift height designed at 8" so the working angles and travel at ride height will not be limited to gain the most out of the set up.

I myself love the Cognito product line. They are much more refined in design and they offer a full range of options and upgrades to suite anyones needs, they strictly have been manufacturing product for the Chevy/GM trucks sense 2001.

In the Cognito suspension line I would look at the 7-9" package, you can first start the suspension up at 7" to run 35"s easy and then have the range to move up to 37"s and set the package at 8-9" range with a couple add on's they designed for this suspension to be used at a full 9". WAIT!!! I said above you can not adjust suspension without issue's, that is true because most all suspension kits are not designed to be adjustable and do not have designed parts to us to add height. The Cognito 7-9" kit starts at 7" and reflects perfect CV shaft and steering angle just like your truck had when it was factory height, Cognito is one company that drops the front diff down the full amount of the lift starting height, so when everything is matched at the starting height Cognito has their UCA's (upper control arms) that will allow you to "Level" and stock truck, they also will allow you to "Level or lift in this set up" the 7" front kit to be 9". You must match the rear lift height when doing this but Cognito is really the only company that truly has the kits set up to have a 2" range of stance.

In this thread we have a few Cognito 7-9" installs with plenty of pictures to see what it looks like and detailed suspension pics so you can see how well the working angles are.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/suspension-steering/26885-nor-cal-truck-builds-specs-pics.html

If you like the Cognito product and would like to go that direction feel free to contact us for more info and or help purchasing as we have a ton of back ground with this product line.:drink

Without a doubt Cognito is the way to go. I mean its all personal opinion and there are lots out there but here is my rank of the major ones. Note I have only had one of these. However have read tons and tons over the last 6-7 years.

1. Cognito
2. Fabtech
3. Skjacker
4. BDS
5. Zone
6. Procomp

mainec, I just realized who you are I am pretty sure, great to see you are on the forums:drink.

·
Registered
457 Posts
mainec, I just realized who you are I am pretty sure, great to see you are on the forums:drink.
Yeah you got me....I try to chime in as I see fit. However I am definetly not on the list of experts.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I run a 6” Fabtech lift w/ 37” KM2s & Dirt Logic shocks. It’s much easier to run 37s if you change your truck’s front bumper, otherwise you may find yourself doing a little cutting so your tires don’t rub. I get compliments on the truck’s ride constantly, mainly due to the upgraded shocks & added weight to the front end. I have pics of my truck in the album on my profile.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
really what you are looking to gain is out there but taking a different approach at how you get to what kit is best you will want to back up and put name brands to the side to figure out the true height you are looking for based off your tire and wheel height and width. That will then narrow your options down and better reflect what will be the perfect option. All to often members face issues that are a result in purchasing the wrong lift size matching the wheel and tire specs. 1 hick up many face is being scared there truck will end up too high so they think they need a smaller lift height. You want to reflect a lift set up in its prime suspension set height so its a true set up not something stretched out like when guys state they have a 6" lift but they made it into a 9" because of how the adjusted it, they don't work like that exactly. Sure you can adjust but that is when you gain the looks but the function lacks and you face problems in wear and failure, let alone the ride will suffer. So determining the lift height is the starting point.

37" will be alot for a 6" lift, yes we install 35"s on 4" lifts but the tire width gets wider on the 37"s and thus reason it takes more to clear at full lock.

37x13.50" tires on a 20x9 wheel with -12 offset = 5" back space you will want to look at a lift height designed at 8" so the working angles and travel at ride height will not be limited to gain the most out of the set up.

I myself love the cognito product line. They are much more refined in design and they offer a full range of options and upgrades to suite anyones needs, they strictly have been manufacturing product for the chevy/gm trucks sense 2001.

In the cognito suspension line i would look at the 7-9" package, you can first start the suspension up at 7" to run 35"s easy and then have the range to move up to 37"s and set the package at 8-9" range with a couple add on's they designed for this suspension to be used at a full 9". Wait!!! I said above you can not adjust suspension without issue's, that is true because most all suspension kits are not designed to be adjustable and do not have designed parts to us to add height. The cognito 7-9" kit starts at 7" and reflects perfect cv shaft and steering angle just like your truck had when it was factory height, cognito is one company that drops the front diff down the full amount of the lift starting height, so when everything is matched at the starting height cognito has their uca's (upper control arms) that will allow you to "level" and stock truck, they also will allow you to "level or lift in this set up" the 7" front kit to be 9". You must match the rear lift height when doing this but cognito is really the only company that truly has the kits set up to have a 2" range of stance.

In this thread we have a few cognito 7-9" installs with plenty of pictures to see what it looks like and detailed suspension pics so you can see how well the working angles are.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/suspension-steering/26885-nor-cal-truck-builds-specs-pics.html

if you like the cognito product and would like to go that direction feel free to contact us for more info and or help purchasing as we have a ton of back ground with this product line.:drink

mainec, i just realized who you are i am pretty sure, great to see you are on the forums:drink.
nick, you are the renowned expert around here, so i thank you for chiming in. I have looked at the cognito stuff, but it wasn't even in the top running... But i guess i will have to re-look at it now. Can you do a dual shock set up in front with the cognito stuff?

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i run a 6” fabtech lift w/ 37” km2s & dirt logic shocks. It’s much easier to run 37s if you change your truck’s front bumper, otherwise you may find yourself doing a little cutting so your tires don’t rub. I get compliments on the truck’s ride constantly, mainly due to the upgraded shocks & added weight to the front end. I have pics of my truck in the album on my profile.
its not the front bumper thats an issue on the nbs trucks, its the inside of the fenders.... Nick has a mod for them too.. Which i will most likely do... I am just trying to avoid the issues i had with my classic style truck. I got 37s on it, took a lot of cuttin, mostly of the front bumper and stuff. The thing is, as much as i like to keep my truck looking good, clean and pretty.... I love to put it through its paces off the road and in the mud! What's the point of having a big jacked up truck if you can't take it off road now an then!

I can do it now with the 33's, but it is abusive! Not so much on the truck, but on me!! The lack of suspension travel is brutal! Gotta fix this asap!

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
nick, you are the renowned expert around here, so i thank you for chiming in. I have looked at the cognito stuff, but it wasn't even in the top running... But i guess i will have to re-look at it now. Can you do a dual shock set up in front with the cognito stuff?

No problem:drink

You will not find many shops that know about Cognito and you do not find it opening up any magazine but if you do alittle web surfing its easy to see the Cognito brand is the more detailed product line that caters to the truck owners demanding better than standard, many options and upgrades to suite just about anyones truck needs.

Feel free to let us know if you have any questions about Cognito, I've done a couple:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts