Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Which Perfomanace Chip is BEST?

10K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Rick 
#1 ·
I have an '04 Duramax, going to put on a chip and just wondering if, say Bullydog is better than Edge or any other brand?

#2 ·
Everyone will have a differnt oppinion on this one but the edge is good IMO it has everyting in one package! as for a downloader PPE and Predator Are best IMO. Just becareful on how much power you addd with a stock trans:cool What ever you run i would at lest get a EGT gauge if you want to run any mor than 50/60 extra hp!

#10 ·
i have had superchips and edge and hated both, they really mess with the truck on shifts. I like bullydog so far so good. but those are the only 3 i have had.

#11 ·
Duramax Chip

I had an '02 Duramax with an older "VanAiken" chip. It was a plug and play, 'always-on' chip. I got great power and no issues with it. My truck always started and ran well. My temps rearely got past 1150 except when towing. I'd have liked a bypass switch to detune when my temps got up there. I read a few things about Bullydog and heard their approach to power was not wise for this motor. If I still had my truck, i'd go with Banks because they had the R&D in their product and test everything they sell. I also had a 4" pipe, straight muffler, Exhaust temp and boost guage with temp probe, Air box with K&N filter. I didn't have problems with codes but under power, I made some smoke. I had about 40k on the chip.

#12 ·
Banks work great and support is unbelievable

I have a Banks Big Hoss Bundle with PDA on my truck and it works great. 50mph to 80 mph pulling 14000lbs bobcat and dump trailer 1485egt 30lbs boost passed em like they were standing still on a two lane.:cool

#14 ·
For the cost of the Banks kit you can get alot more stuff. Banks is way overpriced and impossible to deal with. They cut out all of us dealers. They do build SOME nice stuff, but for the most part you are better off looking elsewhere.

What are you looking to do with the truck?
How much more power do you want?

#16 · (Edited)
I ran the triple dog(bully dog)and the extra power was awesome but i didn't gain any fuel mileage so changed out to ppe hot et 2 and on setting 3 adds extra 160 hp and the fuel mileage went from stock 15.8 to average of 19 to 20 on the highway.if u don't mind spending,the best avalible is efi live.just my experience.

05 lly dually mods,the mirrors off my 06 2500HD,programmer ppe hot soon to be upgraded to the hot e.t. 2:fart ,ppe boost controller,S&B air intake,dual 4" siverline turbo back exhuast with 5" tip no cats,bully dog shift kit soon to be upgraded to stage v sun coast transmission with triple disc torque converter$$:gearjamin,wish list:teasetwin turbos,dual cp3 fueler,bigger injecters,and so on$$$$

#17 ·
Where can I look up the "efi live?" Also, I was at the builder's covention last week in Orlando and saw the new Duramax 2500. After talking to the GM rep, it looks like it will be a stretch to add a chip to that motor with all its pollution control systems w/o creating problems.

#18 · (Edited)
http://www.crankitupdiesel.com/ .this is a guy from Columbus OH he has alot of experience in duramax diesel,he also has a pulling truck called climax. http://www.efilive.com/

05 lly dually mods,the mirrors off my 06 2500HD,programmer ppe hot soon to be upgraded to the hot e.t. 2:fart ,ppe boost controller,S&B air intake,dual 4" siverline turbo back exhuast with 5" tip no cats,bully dog shift kit soon to be upgraded to stage v sun coast transmission with triple disc torque converter$$:gearjamin,wish list:teasetwin turbos,dual cp3 fueler,bigger injecters,and so on$$$$

#21 ·
i had 05 duramax with bully dog tripple dog power pup ran real good but tranny would limp on highest setting.bully dog said some trucks would,some wouldnt.not the best answer.any way i bought a 2007 chevy classic,love the power,poor fuel mileage ,17hwy compared to 20 on 05,only 3000 miles how well does the bully dog work on 07?any way to pickup mileage?

#22 ·
Best chip out there

Charlie,

I read that the Bully Dog chip is not an advanced design such as the Banks unit. I read a complete summary of the top chip makers go to: www.bankspower.com

They have a comprehensive analysis with videos that are convincing using a late model Duramax. The allison problems you described w/Bully Dog are adressed on these videos! For now, Banks seems to be the best out there with far more research and development than the others. If it were my truck, i'd go with Banks for safetly, if nothing else. I had an older VanAiken chip that just dumped fuel into my motor (some manufacturers still do this!) and most of that fuel ended up in my tailpipe unburned! I had high exhaust temps too. For power, it was a decent chip, a plug and play, always on. But it wasn't safe. Banks is so far advanced now.

I'd like to hear back from you and let me know how you made out.

Rick

#23 ·
I forgot to mention: Your truck isn't fully broken in. Read the owner's manual. My '02 began to achieve it's peak milage after some 10k miles. The bank's chip is guaranteed not to send your allison into "limp home" mode. They have a wicked PDA that let's you dial in power. I looked up that PDA on a "Palm" website and it is the latest design with a few features. Go to: www.palm.com

See the "E2" device. This is the one Banks is using. And lastly, i'm glad you bought an '07 because the '08's are nothing new. The frame and suspension is an '07 with an '08 body with a much higher price!! Chevy isn't telling everyone about this. Look under an '08 and youi'll see your suspension. I hope you got a good deal on your '07! Good luck!

Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.