Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I have an 04 lb7. only thing done to it is some ghetto straight pipe from the guy before me where the pipe changes sizes like three times. that junks about to get replaced with mbrp turbo back exhause. but my real probelm is what to do on a programmer. I dont do much heavy pulling and my truck is my daily driver. I dont get on it all the time, but I would be lying if i said I never did. All of my friends have efi live, but I don't want something that much. this is my first diesel and i want to keep it simple. I am mainly looking for mpg, a little power, and a little smoke. I know thats like all three programmers do, and its hard to get all in one, but what do you guys think? I want something fairly easy on my truck that wont rape my tranny. THANKS A LOT!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Anything will kill your trans if you go above 90hp at the wheels more... PPE or the new Edge programming is pretty good

·
XBoxLive: RenegadeDuramax
1,776 Posts
PPE sounds like the best fit for you. I always recommend PPE or EFI Live. If you think you'll ever want more power, or if you will ever do a performance build on your tranny... go ahead and pop for the EFI Live. You'll save money in the long run.

I've had an Edge J/A on my truck since around 3,000 miles. I drive it daily on the level 5 tune (125hp/325ft lb) and occassionally on the level 6 (150hp) tune. The only time it isn't on one of those tunes is if I'm towing. I drive it like I stole it, and I haven't had a single problem with the trans and it is stock... now having said that, I am also pushing it to the limit so I can justify the expense of a performance rebuild to myself... but after 180,000 miles I don't think it's going to fail.

I'm not endorsing the Edge J/A... don't get me wrong. I have an early model of it and I have never had the programming updated. I think this has been what has prevented the typical Edge problems from showing up on my truck. I've had good luck with mine, but A LOT of other people have had major issues with it.

I'm also about to pop for EFI Live.

·
Registered
957 Posts
ppe is the way to go they are a good clean running programmer and if you think your gonna want more get a hot+2 but dont get to wild on the stock tranny

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
xtremedmax- im planning on selling my truck in about a year, maybe sooner... i swap trucks a lot... haha. but duramax is my first diesel and i don't plan on anything to change in that department. i love them. thats why im thinking ppe hot. not the II. but then again, efi could be EXACTLY what I want. why do you say efi over ppe?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
ppe

·
XBoxLive: RenegadeDuramax
1,776 Posts
xtremedmax- im planning on selling my truck in about a year, maybe sooner... i swap trucks a lot... haha. but duramax is my first diesel and i don't plan on anything to change in that department. i love them. thats why im thinking ppe hot. not the II. but then again, efi could be EXACTLY what I want. why do you say efi over ppe?
EFI is the Alpha and Omega.... and fully customizable by the individual. Tunes can be swapped easily and allows you to monitor your truck from your laptop.

PPE sounds like its a better fit for what you want though.

·
Vendor
3,397 Posts
Okay, so I have an 04 lb7. only thing done to it is some ghetto straight pipe from the guy before me where the pipe changes sizes like three times. that junks about to get replaced with mbrp turbo back exhause. but my real probelm is what to do on a programmer. I dont do much heavy pulling and my truck is my daily driver. I dont get on it all the time, but I would be lying if i said I never did. All of my friends have efi live, but I don't want something that much. this is my first diesel and i want to keep it simple. I am mainly looking for mpg, a little power, and a little smoke. I know thats like all three programmers do, and its hard to get all in one, but what do you guys think? I want something fairly easy on my truck that wont rape my tranny. THANKS A LOT!
I suggest going with a PPE Standard. You will have plenty of power and better mileage as long as you can keep your foot out of it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Go to the forsale section there are soem for sale over there also!!

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts