Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, so I've been planning on doing something to my truck here lately and I've got a couple of questions for you all... I planned on going with a 5" MBRP system and then a programmer on top of that. I'm between the Edge Evo Race, PPE Hot +2, H&S BlackMaxx, and EFI Live. If you guys could, just reply with which you choose and why? Also, is there a programmer that exists for a Duramax that is similar to the Smarty for a Cummins in that when a dealer looks at the ECM it doesn't show up? Thanks :rockin

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
Nothing is invisible to the dealer anymore. I'm bias to the Evo Race. I love it. Built in gauges, you aren't limited to on two or three. You have four parameters up and 20 something to choose from. The turbobrake feature is awesome when towing. I will be upgrading to EFI Live this summer because I plan to do more with the truck and want smoother more refined power. What do you want to do with your truck?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing is invisible to the dealer anymore. I'm bias to the Evo Race. I love it. Built in gauges, you aren't limited to on two or three. You have four parameters up and 20 something to choose from. The turbobrake feature is awesome when towing. I will be upgrading to EFI Live this summer because I plan to do more with the truck and want smoother more refined power. What do you want to do with your truck?
The built in guages in the Edge and BlackMaxx is what is drawing me towards them. And mainly lookin for a programmer to get rid of the DPF, get some fuel mileage, hot rod, etc.:D

·
Banned
2,605 Posts
Can't beat EFI Live... Contact any of the forum vendors on here and they can hook you up!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Efi...

·
Do work!
2,234 Posts
If your just wanting to delete the dpf and not wanting to go crazy with HP I would get the blackmaxx. It's a badass tuner and has all the gauges you need

Sent from HTC Desire

·
Banned
2,605 Posts
Blackmaxx is like 1000 bucks isn't it?

You can get EFI and a CTS for that.... just saying

·
Registered
542 Posts
Im running the Quad right now with dpf/egr delete. Not a bad canned tuner for the money. But... I plan on going EFI LIve later this summer. If I was you id wait and do it right the first time. EFI...

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I would say if you wanting a to get a easy to use good caned tuner get the Edge Race. It is very user friendly, deletes the DPF, and has built in gauges. For the money, it is a pretty good deal. If you think that you would want to upgrade in the future, go ahead and get EFI with a set of pillar gauges or the edge evolution for gauges.

·
Registered
542 Posts
With any tunned DMax your gonna need more gauges that what GM installed. EGTs and Boost most common ones...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So the consensus is EFI Live I take it? The only issue i may have with EFi is that it seems to be for the more advanced user than for someone like me. I would never fool with my truck's computer just out of fear of screwing something up! :/ I recently looked on the H&S site and saw this: http://http://www.hsperformance.com/store/chevy-gmc/xrt-pro.html
What do you guys think? Price doesn't seem bad, and it's the same as BlackMaxx, minus the guages.

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
H&S hasnt been on the forefront of dmax tuning. I'd stick with the Evo Race but thats just my opinion

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
EFI is more advanced than any other canned tuner. Thats why you have the option of getting a pre tuned ECM. Which is just a plug and play option. You do not have to mess with any tuning what so ever. The tuner does that for you. I would recommend giving Nick a call at duramaxtuner.com He will be glad to help you out.

·
Do work!
2,234 Posts
I have the xrt pro. It got the same tunes as the minimaxx and black maxx but you'll wish you spent the extra 400 and got the one with gauges...

·
Registered
173 Posts
EFI is the way to go. I just went from Edge tuning to Efi live. I am certainly no expert but do know that my truck runs quieter,smoother, and seems happier with the tuned ecm I got from [email protected] tuner.com
Easy setup is a pretuned ecm and dsp 5 switch. Takes no time to install and it's just an all around better system.

·
Registered
352 Posts
im on my second dmax and i have used bullydog, edge juice and now on ppe on both of them. if i had known what i know now i would of just gone and invested in efi live, just my opinon

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I have a Edge Evo for sale. It's the original one. Askin 225 shipped and you can use it for gauges when you get EFI! Comes with a probe!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
the problem with the edge evo is that u cannot shift on the fly so with that being said
the edge juice with attitude it has all your gauges and is shift on the fly too so theres no stopping and flashing your ecm to a different tune. im not sure how the other canned tuners work but thats my opinion i had the evo and couldent stand runnign my truck on a 100 horsepower level until i wanted to pull off and wait to cool down then change it. but i dont really use the power with my juice i useally keep it on 0 witch is stock. if ur looking to buy it ill sell it to you. it is 1 month old new style color touch screen with a dash pod and egt probe. i paid 1150 pm me if intrested

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
His is a LMM. I don't think your tuner will work bud. Do you still got that blocker plate shotcaller?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts