Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been trying to decide what tires I want on my new Denali HD after putting a leveling kit on it. I know they are all very close just really don't want to do any trimming and wanted to see what you guys though would be best! Here are the options below. It's going to be the Toyo MT or the Nitto Trail Grappler. Just need some help on the size! Thanks.

Toyo MT:
315/60R20
295/65R20
35x12.50R20

Nitto Trail Grappler:
35x11.50R20
35x12.50R20

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
So I have been trying to decide what tires I want on my new Denali HD after putting a leveling kit on it. I know they are all very close just really don't want to do any trimming and wanted to see what you guys though would be best! Here are the options below. It's going to be the Toyo MT or the Nitto Trail Grappler. Just need some help on the size! Thanks.

Toyo MT:
315/60R20
295/65R20
35x12.50R20

Nitto Trail Grappler:
35x11.50R20
35x12.50R20
Chose 35x11.5 to keep the tires inside the wheel wells as much as possible.

This along with a set of Duraflap mud guards stops mud, snow and even rock chips from depositing down the side of the truck.

I drive 35k to 45k per year for work in my truck including mine sites ... so visibility and low maintenance is key.

Just an FYI ... gotta do quite a bit of cutting on the wheel wells and front valence to clear 35’s with only a leveling kit.

I know ... that’s why I traded my leveling kit for a true 4 inch suspension lift ... and my truck rides soooo much better.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
You can fit 35's on factory wheels WITHOUT any trimming. Hell there are guys on here that have ran 35's at factory height.

OP I had good luck with the 295/65R20 with leveling kits. Really just pick what you want and go with it. Some guys have a slight rubbing on the frame with a 12.5" wide tire though FYI.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
You can fit 35's on factory wheels WITHOUT any trimming. Hell there are guys on here that have ran 35's at factory height.

OP I had good luck with the 295/65R20 with leveling kits. Really just pick what you want and go with it. Some guys have a slight rubbing on the frame with a 12.5" wide tire though FYI.
Gotta call BS on running 35’s at stock height with no rubbing issues. Confirmed by my buddy who is the store manager at the local Les Schwab tire shop ... who started laughing when I showed him this post. He puts on hundreds of leveling kits and recommends no larger than 33’s or 34’s, which also depends on the wheel offset, width, etc.

Also, my 2019 3500HD and my father’s 2017 3500HD both had front ends that were over 3 inches higher in front than the rear in stock form. My father was able to turn the stock keys up all the way (2.75 inches of lift) and install Toyo 285/75R18’s (35’s) on stock wheels and experience very minimal rubbing ... that only occurred at full turn and at full suspension compression ... but it still rubbed. Admittedly my aftermarket wheels having a +18 offset vs the factory +44? (stick out ~ 1 inch further than stock) required more cutting of the wheel well liner both front and rear ... even though I was also only running 285/75R18 (34.8”x11.2”). In fact, I even had to trim a little metal on the fender behind the wheel well liner ... and that was with lifting the front 3 inches.

But like you said, should do what he feels is best ... just trying to advise against some of the pitfalls I experienced first-hand with leveling and 35’s.

Side Note: Can’t express enough how much better my truck rides with a 4 inch suspension lift kit. I personally did not want a lift kit ... because I did not want to lift the back of my truck for towing reasons. After breaking ties rods because of leveling over 2.5 inches ... gave up and went with the 4 inch lift kit. Got my “Cowboy Cadillac” back ... regarding the plush ride of a suspension lift kit vs the harsh ride of a leveling kit. But I learned the hard way ... after two leveling kits ...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Not trying to hijack your thread but look into Kenda Klever R/T...I had the 33/12.50/20 and now have the 35/12.50/22's and they have been an excellent tire! get a little road noise as they wear, but for being an AT/MT hybrid they are great in the mud/sand, dare I say better than the trail grapplers I had on my LBZ. I'm in Texas so cant rate them for snow but they are studdable and wear very nicely, had 60% tread left on the 33's before my lift/35's and they had 26K miles on them when I changed sizes.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Gotta call BS on running 35’s at stock height with no rubbing issues. Confirmed by my buddy who is the store manager at the local Les Schwab tire shop ... who started laughing when I showed him this post. He puts on hundreds of leveling kits and recommends no larger than 33’s or 34’s, which also depends on the wheel offset, width, etc.

Also, my 2019 3500HD and my father’s 2017 3500HD both had front ends that were over 3 inches higher in front than the rear in stock form. My father was able to turn the stock keys up all the way (2.75 inches of lift) and install Toyo 285/75R18’s (35’s) on stock wheels and experience very minimal rubbing ... that only occurred at full turn and at full suspension compression ... but it still rubbed. Admittedly my aftermarket wheels having a +18 offset vs the factory +44? (stick out ~ 1 inch further than stock) required more cutting of the wheel well liner both front and rear ... even though I was also only running 285/75R18 (34.8”x11.2”). In fact, I even had to trim a little metal on the fender behind the wheel well liner ... and that was with lifting the front 3 inchesa.

But like you said, should do what he feels is best ... just trying to advise against some of the pitfalls I experienced first-hand with leveling and 35’s.

Side Note: Can’t express enough how much better my truck rides with a 4 inch suspension lift kit. I personally did not want a lift kit ... because I did not want to lift the back of my truck for towing reasons. After breaking ties rods because of leveling over 2.5 inches ... gave up and went with the 4 inch lift kit. Got my “Cowboy Cadillac” back ... regarding the plush ride of a suspension lift kit vs the harsh ride of a leveling kit. But I learned the hard way ... after two leveling kits ...
I never said no rubbing and next time before you fill someone with the wrong information, do some research. :GoodJob

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/11307305-post11.html Thanks @M.A.M.

There are several others on here who have done it, including myself and so have friends of mine. Hope your buddy enjoys laughing at himself for being incorrect.

Reactions: rockn69 and M.A.M.

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
35x12.5x20s clear with absolutely no cutting on stock 20” wheels. The only place they will possibly rub is on the frame or sway bar at full lock. Each truck is slightly different, some will, some won’t. Common sense will tell you that any less positive offset than stock will rub more with that tire size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts