Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I've always gone to my uncle's shop to do my wrenching. But am setting up my basement so i don't have to drive 30 miles every time I wanna do a project.

I want to buy a torque wrench. And I'm looking for suggestions on which brands to get/not get. Also what size drive to get. Should I get 1/2 drive and adapters all the way down or 3/8?

It seems like a pretty handy thing to have, and i'm trying to build up a collection of tools slowly but surely. Some good extensions, adapters, sockets will make a nice addition. Thanks guys

·
Registered
465 Posts
What is the max torque you plan on tightening down?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Ive worked with a Snapon and i like it

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mean mainly diff covers, tranny covers, oil pans, etc. I'd just like a "do it all" jobber. mainly just going to be wrenching on our fleet of personal cars. i'd like for it to work for anything on my dmax. i do know if i get into messing with much under the hood i might need something extra. I'm fairly green to it, but want to learn

·
Diesel Junky
1,107 Posts
i bought one from autozone, and tested it.. dead on with lifetime warranty. only 29.99 i believe

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive worked with a Snapon and i like it
I know snap-on makes great stuff, but i've talked to a lot of mechanics who say they're nice tools but not worth the $$$. I will look into that option. What size was it?

I'm seeing all kinds of names and prices.. Pittsburgh, Neiko, Parker, Craftsman, Snap-On, Mountain, KD tools.

not looking to break the bank, but i do not want a POS, and i want it to get the job done

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i bought one from autozone, and tested it.. dead on with lifetime warranty. only 29.99 i believe
that's great info. i'm all for whatever lifetime warranty i can get. i wonder if they offer that for wheel hubs. mine are shot, i think NAPA does

·
Registered
465 Posts
Then the most you would need is a 1/2 drive and snap-on is a excellent brand I calibrate them from time to time and they hold close to what they are supposed to be better than most! A 3/4 drive is big and bulky and you wouldn't want to use is it on what you have listed the only time I have used my 3/4 drive is on my harmonic balancer when my water pump went out other than that I grab the 1/2, or 3/8

·
Registered
465 Posts
If the lifetime warranty covers calibrating almost any brand will work but most lifetime warranty's only cover broken parts

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if this one actually retailed for 210 it looks like a great deal and a solid tool. this bad boy, a nice breaker bar, and some decent deep well sockets and I should be set

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bump

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks man! i might swing through sears and check it out before i buy. does the end swivel like that one in the amazon link?

·
Registered
424 Posts
the torque wrench doesnt swivel, but the craftsman breaker bars i have do. the torque wrench only has like a one year warranty, but the breaker bars have a lifetime last time i got one replaced any way lol

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cool beans. i'm definitely getting a 1/2 breaker too. thinkin harbor freight to save some $$$ then just replace if it craps out lol. they have a ton of pittsburgh stuff on sale so i'll try my luck with some of their stuff. but the mountain tq wrench looks super nice

·
Registered
424 Posts
theres nothin wrong with harbor freight for basic stuff but i dont know if i would trust one of there torque wrenches lol. i bought a grinder from there that outlasted my dewalt so its hit or miss lol

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh yeah i'm buyin legit for the torque wrench. but stupid stuff like breakers or sockets or adapters i think should be alright. i'll sure find out hahaha

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
excellent, imma see about pricing one before i rule them out :)

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
its pricey but i like it. it is a heavy sob for a 250 ft lb one. but it works awesome. ive got 3/8 drive with is 5-75 ft lbs. 1/2 which is i think 25-250 or 50-250 and then 3/4 which is 120-600 ft lbs. dont buy 3/4 tho for your use i doubt you would ever use it lol

1 - 20 of 43 Posts