Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, ever since i was a little kid i have been in love with diesels. all the smoke especially. after i get enrolled into the coast guard in 1 year i want to reward my self by getting the best. DURAMAX! i know there are many diffrent changes made throughout the years in the duramax and i am aware there was a overheating problem somewhere in the years. I would like to know what years imaybe should stay clear of and what years are the best(besides the new 2007 year.) thanks alot, nick

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
well to start with the earlier ones known as the LB7 had some injecters troubles but gm extended the warranty on the 01 and 02 LB7 to 7y/200k miles and the 04.5 and 05 known as the LLY had some overheating trouble but wasn't a wide spread problem so i wouldn't be scared to buy one and the 06 and 07 known as the LBZ and the first half of 06 was a upgraded LLY are the best all around except if you do high hp such as any thing over 550rwhp you will have piston failure but at stock and what most programmers will add you won't have any trouble with the pistons,so when it comes down to it i wouldn't be scared to but any of these engines but i would try buying a 03 or earlier 04 with the LB7 or the 06 with the LBZ and the 6speed auto tranny..

heres how you tell what duramax you have by using the vin #,start counting from right to left and the 8th didgit if it is a ?
1=LB7 used 01 thru 04
2=LLY used 04.5 thru 05
3=LLY used first half of 06
D=LBZ used 06 thru 07

any duramax built past 1-1-07 is a LMM and it has all the emission BS on it..

on edit i believe for the LMM it is a 6 for the 8th didgit

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. i would like to get an 06 but i think it will be a little out of my price range. i will probobly look into an 04 to 05. i definetly want to do sled pulling and i definetly will be modding the hell out of it

·
Vendor
332 Posts
Buy the most truck you can afford, not saying the newest, but dont get something you may not be happy with in a few months. If you have your heart set on a certain color, try and get it. That way, you wont wish it was this or that. As Tyreboyz said above, you can decode the trucks with the VIN if your just looking around.

Another good tip is before signing your life away on the note, post up the VIN and get a history on the truck. That may bring up some un knowns as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im trying to factor in 2 years how much will the 2007 classics be? i could probobly afford one of those in 2 years. do the 07 engines have any problems? and do they have a large aftermarket like the other years?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts