Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. I am in the service and move quite a bit. Looking for a tow pig for my project vehicles, but dmax prices are all over the place. Which generation is the best bang for buck, and why? (I love the 01-02 Chevy body style but the interiors on 01-07 trucks are ........low quality)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think 06-07 Classic of course. (of course is for the 07 being a classic)

How come it seems there arent any 2010s out there for sale. I have an 04 I dont want a DEF truck or the CP3 issues. Ive been looking for a 2010. I cannot find a CCSB 4X4 at all. I want a clean truck dont want a project but i cant find one for sale.

·
Registered
222 Posts
^^^^ Thats what i figured, Because they perfected that run on the LMM by then and then the 2011's came and i feel thats when all of the CP3 failures started. This is just an assumption, I am not knowing this for a fact. Just assuming from what i have read.

People hang on to them because they're as reliable as diesel trucks get.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I've spent over $16k in repairs on my 04 in 65,000. miles. 2 sets of injectors, (2nd set was HG mechanics fault but he is never wrong), head gaskets, head studs, a turbo, (my fault) plus other stuff. There is a couple grand of things I could spend money on now. Wiring, front suspension, steering plus seats are shot. I'm older and broker, so I try to take it easy on my stuff.
I'm thinking 06-07 classic would be a good choice since I like that body style. Anything newer w cp3 or find one that cp4 was swapped out of for 3.
Good luck.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Agreed, This was hard, i already have about 9000.00 into trans/ transfer case R&R. That was tough. Now This time was injectors at 3400.00 for SAC00 and FASS165 Plus labor of 2350.00 So i will keep her.
I did the complete front end myself. Every single movable part new. Brakes, hubs, axles A-arms, ball joints tie rods, link and steering box then water pump and thermostats and fan clutch and PPE hoses.... Thats within the last 2 years. I hope i am done for a while.
I've spent over $16k in repairs on my 04 in 65,000. miles. 2 sets of injectors, (2nd set was HG mechanics fault but he is never wrong), head gaskets, head studs, a turbo, (my fault) plus other stuff. There is a couple grand of things I could spend money on now. Wiring, front suspension, steering plus seats are shot. I'm older and broker, so I try to take it easy on my stuff.
I'm thinking 06-07 classic would be a good choice since I like that body style. Anything newer w cp3 or find one that cp4 was swapped out of for 3.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hello, all. I am in the service and move quite a bit. Looking for a tow pig for my project vehicles, but dmax prices are all over the place. Which generation is the best bang for buck, and why? (I love the 01-02 Chevy body style but the interiors on 01-07 trucks are ........low quality)
Focus on the model of engine for a given year as prior to the introduction of the LML engine in 2011 there were changes every year or two to correct a defect for the prior model engine. The LB7 and early LLY engines were prone to injector failure. These engines also greatly benefit from adding a lift pump.

The 2004-06 LLY engines had problems with the design of their head gaskets and the resulting problems with coolant loss and overheating. Best fix is an aftermarket head and head gasket.

The 06-07 LBZ engines were very reliable and the only caveat is that they have had problems with fuel starvation and fuel pressure relief failure. It the engine starts to lose power and the truck is in limp mode there is not likely to be damage and you get an early warning of a problem that needs to be fixed.

The 2008-2010 LMM engine had a significant design flaw as it would dump raw fuel (an injection event) into the cylinders and often a portion of this fuel would end up in the crankcase. Not unusual to have more oil coming out during an oil change than was actually put into the engine.

LML engines fixed a great many problems and the key weak points are the DEF system which was poorly engineered in terms of the components and the software programming. I have had two components fail on my on truck with this engine and three programming problems and all 5 occurences resulted in the truck going into limp mode. Biggest problem I have had is in finding a competent mechanic to diagnose the problems.

In trerms of the most bang for the buck that depends on the asking price, mileage, and overall condition of the truck. Big difference between a truck with 220k miles and one that has 120K miles, between one used for medium length trips on the freeway and one used for around town daily driver trips or one that has been used to haul large trailer loads.

The least expensive initially is likely to be a 2006 to early 2007 with the LBZ engine and no DPF or DEF involved. I would set aside $5,000 for an injector overhaul as the life expectancy of the injectors is roughly 75K miles between replacement.

Second choice would be a LML truck that has not been deleted or lifted or otherwise abused by its owner(s) and definitely not something to buy from a used car dealer.

Diesel is a very dirty fuel and it is worth the cost to add a pre-filter for the fuel and a lift pump to minimize the amount of particles hitting the injectors at high speed. With the OEM and similar fuel filters more than 240,000 particles get past the filter media with every gallon of fuel that is burned. This is also why changing the filters more often than the DIC recommends is not a good practice as fuel filters are least effective when new.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
My vote is for LBZ 2006-2007.5. 2nd place vote goes to LLY 2004.5-2005. I have an LLY and it has towed our 5th wheel over 45K miles without any trouble. I added a lift pump and fixed the turbo mouthpiece very early in its life and it has never let me down.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I'm kinda of scared to buy another one and start over on this crap. I'll probably just keep this one till I can save a bunch towards a 100k mile unit.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'd say the 07' Classic LBZ. I've had mine since new. It's never broke down. The only thing I've done to it since new is replacing the #7 glow plug. Other than routine maintenance stuff that is. My truck only has 91,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Odds on favorite seems to be the LBZ but they seem to be bringing a premium price since they're the last model before DPF came along. So that makes "bang for your buck" a bit more complicated, and subjective.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I waited years to finally buy one. Yes it’s higher mileage but it’s an LBZ, single owner, never modified and very well kept/maintained. I was always shooting for an LBZ (I know the chassis set the best) and they pull a premium. Wish it was crew cab but don’t really need it anyway. Hope it treats me well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts