Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so on my way home from the club tonight, I did get on it a little, and ever since I did, Whenever I take off now, from a dead stop OR from a rolling start, my truck will start screaming/whining until I let off throttle or get into it harder.... Doesn't make sense to me. Hopefully its not a tranny issue, but I suspect it might be, cause I over-looked underneath of the truck (in the dark) and found nothing out of the ordinary.. Nothing loose or hanging, no fluid leaks, nothing rattling or broken (while idleing). Anyone know what this screaming/screaching is while taking off???

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Mine did that for awhile and I finally figured out my power steering pump was low on fluid. It whined/screeched at any throttle input over an idle and got louder with RPM, and this was a week after I got my trans built so I was freaking out, but it happened to just be a low power steering pump. Worth a shot anyway.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Sounds like your converter slipping............Is your truck shifting at higher rpm's?

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Check the idler pullys-- best to loosen the belt and spin them by hand--also do the same for the alternator. When they go bad, it takes the belt-- and you will not have power steering or power brakes.

·
Recovering Diesel Addict
1,074 Posts
Do you have anything done to your tranny? I heard a screaming/ metal on metal sound a few times before I cooked my C1's.... 4th time i heard it, it was real obvious because it wouldn't move any more...

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine did that for awhile and I finally figured out my power steering pump was low on fluid. It whined/screeched at any throttle input over an idle and got louder with RPM, and this was a week after I got my trans built so I was freaking out, but it happened to just be a low power steering pump. Worth a shot anyway.
I just topped off with PSF yesterday, before this happened.

Sounds like your converter slipping............Is your truck shifting at higher rpm's?
Didn't really notice to be honest, if it is, its not THAT much higher of an RPM for me to notice a big difference and be like "why the hell is it shifting at such a high RPM. But I'll check further into it today.

Check the idler pullys-- best to loosen the belt and spin them by hand--also do the same for the alternator. When they go bad, it takes the belt-- and you will not have power steering or power brakes.
So a bad pulley can make this screaching noise? It happens when I take off and get up to speed, but if I baby it up to speed, no noise. And cruising donw the road at 55 mph, no noise. It only make the noise if I get on it kinda hard, and during normal accel. from a take off..

Do you have anything done to your tranny? I heard a screaming/ metal on metal sound a few times before I cooked my C1's.... 4th time i heard it, it was real obvious because it wouldn't move any more...
Thats not something I wanna hear :help
And no, the tranny is stock

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
See if the tensioner pulley is bouncing when the truck is idling. My tensioner went bad and started squeaking and would almost scream at high rpm's

·
Legennn... wait for it...
1,833 Posts
Moved to the proper forum

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I will look further into the pulleys and under the hood.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kind of hard to diagnose when it doesn't make the sound at idle, only when goin down the road, so can't just be out of the truck and look under it to see

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How bout U-joints?? Would make sense as to why it doesnt make the noise while idleing (U joints not moving) and at high speeds (going so fast theyre just burning up)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had loose bolts on the exhaust manifold cause it on c4500. would make screaching noise when only under load. Power brake it a bit and see if you hear it then.

·
Banned
5,738 Posts
Could be your u joints, look at them and see if there is any orange colored dust in or around them.

If you suspect your converter, find someone with a V2 or a tech2 and have them logged your torque converter lockup and slip. Converters can screech when attempting to lockup if damaged. Put it in tow/haul and see if it changes any, if it does get it scanned.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE: Me and my buddy pretty much narrowed it down to the turbo :[ ..... If you put your ear up to the air filter and get on the throttle, it will make the noise and its coming directly from inside the intake (at its loudest point) That would explain why it only does it while driving (under load, making boost) and if I get on the throttle in park, but it makes no noise at idle. This was my 2nd worse fear, behind tranny of course... Anyone know of how I can tell exactly what it is.... We're thinking bearing of course cause of the way it sounds. But when they go bad, is it a better idea to replace the whole turbo? Get it rebuilt, or what? Theres a guy around town who;s been rebuilding them for years, I guess I'll call him Monday. Any info is appreciated..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah hopefully its nothing serious. Good Luck man

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same thing happened to me...Took turbo to Evergreen the place your probably talking about and had it rebuilt put it on and noise still there...Check driverside exhaust manifold bolts towards the rear of engine.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Same thing happened to me...Took turbo to Evergreen the place your probably talking about and had it rebuilt put it on and noise still there...Check driverside exhaust manifold bolts towards the rear of engine.
Whats your name man, I might know you??? And secondly, what did it end up being on your truck? The manifold?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mornin bump

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I have a similar issue in my 02. Have you recorded the sound? I have for mine. I'll upload it later.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts