Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 37000 miles on my 16 3500HD GMC. Yesterday, I excelerated quickly to pass a car and I put out a cloud of bluish white smoke, alot of smoke/vapor. I went from maybe 15 mph to 35 mph. I goosed it again, and same thing happened. Then no more "smoke" for several miles. Then I goosed it again, under similar conditions, and I had a cloud for the third time. After that I could not get it to repeat. I was at 1/4 tank of fuel, and I am driving in winter conditions in Michigan. I did not add any cetane/anti gel to this tank. I add it sometimes, but I did not add it to this tank. IF I got to Autozone, will it give me a code? Do I need to visit the dealership? Otherwise it seems to be running fine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine would do that ALL the time during regen. It's ash deposit built up in your DPF. After a couple miles into a cycle when I knew it was nice and toasty I would hammer down and go WOT as much as I could until all the ash blew out. The regens seemed to go quicker because its expelling the built up soot.

·
Registered
769 Posts
The '15 I had, and now the '16 I have will do this during regen. If you're idling for a bit, or driving easy, then "Hammer Down," it'll puff some blue/gray smoke. It's the modern day version of "Rolling Coal," I guess. LOL

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oh, and it ended up I had a cracked indirect/9th injector. Would take forever to complete a regen. Covered by the dealership under the 100K special coverage adjustment.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oh, and it ended up I had a cracked indirect/9th injector. Would take forever to complete a regen. Covered by the dealership under the 100K special coverage adjustment.
That is the first time I have heard of an Injector cracking, curious what failed on it. When I removed mine I kind of checked it out and it didn't seem like there was much to break on it.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Same with my 12 during a regen. But my LMMs have never done that during a regen. Strange.
LMMs use diesel not DEF fluid. I believe that makes a difference on what you will see out the pipe. Dean
DEF is not a regen thing...

It's true that LMM didn't use def so didn't have a def injector.
They also didn't have a 9th fuel injector.

LMM added the extra fuel to create the heat for regens by injecting fuel (using main injectors) during the exhaust stroke.

LML (and L5P) have 9 fuel injectors and one DEF injector.
DEF is injected whenever it's running.
The 9th fuel injector is only used during the regen process.

We talk about the 9th injector and we talk about the def injector -- they are not the same thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts