Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 LMM with DPF and DOC delete gets a small puff of white smoke upon startup. Usually only after the truck has set for awhile. Is this normal? If so, what is this?

1st diesel, just making sure all is well. 16,000 miles.

Thanks!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. Not too cold, just north of Atlanta, GA.

Puff is very small, does not happen all the time. Whiteish smoke not real noticeable.

Lows have been in the 30's recently when I have seen it. Balance rates look fine as far as I can tell.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Just some unburned fuel....

I love the smell of incomplete combustion in the morning.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Chris. I agree, I love my diesel. I had a 2007 2500HD gasser that was bought back due to oil leak...this is what it was replaced with and I love it!

So that little puff is no big deal?

I am a worrier for sure.
Craig

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jeff,

I live and work in Cumming. Not too far from you over there. Is Cobb's there in Kennesaw?

It would be nice to have another reputable shop close!

Is the white puff a big deal?

Craig

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Mine puffs a small white cloud in the morning when cold, and I live in Texas... Its normal

·
Registered
665 Posts
Jeff,

I live and work in Cumming. Not too far from you over there. Is Cobb's there in Kennesaw?

It would be nice to have another reputable shop close!

Is the white puff a big deal?

Craig
The white puff is normal at start up. If its white puffing all the time at idle or while driving down the road, then that isn't good.

We are actually located in Loudon, TN. I live and go to college in Kennesaw. Everything I do for Cobb's is online based.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone!

Kennesaw State huh? I have known a few who went to school out there. Very good school from what I understand.

What are you majoring in?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine also does it on cold start up. Just a quick and thats it. I wouldn't worry about it. Like they said it unburnt fuel. Start worry about it when it does it at idle and driving down the road.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Thanks everyone!

Kennesaw State huh? I have known a few who went to school out there. Very good school from what I understand.

What are you majoring in?
Not really sure what I want to do at this point. I am taking political science classes currently. Thinking about doing the Law School route, but I am hating school currently. I care about diesel performance too much I think lol

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gotcha!

I changed my major 6-7 times when I was in school. I went to North GA, and ended up being a PE teacher. I love it! Of course everything has it's stresses, but just do what you enjoy.

Yes, I have caught the diesel bug as well. I wish I would have made it to Lavonia last Saturday.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Gotcha!

I changed my major 6-7 times when I was in school. I went to North GA, and ended up being a PE teacher. I love it! Of course everything has it's stresses, but just do what you enjoy.

Yes, I have caught the diesel bug as well. I wish I would have made it to Lavonia last Saturday.
It was a great time. First event I have ever been to where Duramax's out numbered Cummins and Power Stoke's. Those are some great guys at Georgia Diesel!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts