Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Discussion starter · #23 ·
If you have a little raunchy exhaust smell working it way into your cab and it doesn’t happen all the time, then it’s probably going thru a regen at that time.
Regens only last about 20-30 minutes, if your on the highway during this time you’ll probably won’t notice the difference.

If you are able to monitor EGT’s they will go up about 175*-200* during regen, again on the highway you might not notice this especially when towing.

There’s been several that’s never notice except for maybe the additional strange exhaust smell during this time.

The oil life only drops quickly during the regen time.
Normal oil life drops about 1% every 80-90 miles, just check your oil life based on this.
If all of a sudden the % appeared to drop more then it went back to normal, it did a regen.
The one thing that does not sound normal at all to me is the Low Fuel Rail Pressure code. Thee is a known issue with the braided fuel lines that connect the Stainless fuel lines, one beneath the driver and one at the left rear of the engine. The lines get old, collapse and restrict fuel flow.

Here is a link to the fix:

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/...sion/918354-p0087-limp-mode.html#post11356194
Ok, ill keep the oil life left on my DIC and monitor it. i also have a code reader so i will monitor the egts when i suspect it is doing one. As for the low fuel rail pressure code, i rarely ever get it in the winter time so i wouldnt think it is the line getting cold and collapsing.. maybe its something else ?

I didn’t go back reading previous posts, are you using a diesel fuel additive with anti-gel during cold temps below 30* ?
If not you might consider using a additive.

On the oil life monitoring I just note the mileage & the oil life %, then drive monitoring what you want.
Every so often I’d check the % and miles driven keeping track of what’s happening.

Currently I’m @ 550 miles since my last oil change the % has gone down 7%.
Mines been like this since 6/2007 except when it went into a regen which was pretty close to 350 - 400 miles each time, the only difference now is no regens.
Both oil life and regens will vary a little between 🚗 vehicles.

My billet resonator plug is out of 😔 sight out of mind, it’s under the resonator.
Kinda like having double protection, if the o-ring ever fails on the billet plug the cover should take over keeping dirt/crap out.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #25 ·
I didn’t go back reading previous posts, are you using a diesel fuel additive with anti-gel during cold temps below 30* ?
If not you might consider using a additive.

On the oil life monitoring I just note the mileage & the oil life %, then drive monitoring what you want.
Every so often I’d check the % and miles driven keeping track of what’s happening.

Currently I’m @ 550 miles since my last oil change the % has gone down 7%.
Mines been like this since 6/2007 except when it went into a regen which was pretty close to 350 - 400 miles each time, the only difference now is no regens.
Both oil life and regens will vary a little between 🚗 vehicles.

My billet resonator plug is out of 😔 sight out of mind, it’s under the resonator.
Kinda like having double protection, if the o-ring ever fails on the billet plug the cover should take over keeping dirt/crap out.
I'll look into getting the billet at some point, for now I am going to monitor the one I've got on there like you said. yes i am using dieselkleen like you said. As for the monitoring oil life so it goes down roughly 1% every 80-90 miles, so if i had 350 miles then i would take 350 and divide it by 90 which would mean it should have dropped roughly 4% yes? sorry math is not by any means my strong suit..

Yes, but don’t make this a must do, it’s just one way to determine if yours went thru a regen.
If you don’t see it when it’s happening, the drop might just blend it’s way into the miles, not all will be exact, especially the mileage you have on yours.
Mine came off early in life @ 12-15 k.

Having something like the Edge Insight to monitor EGT’s, your truck has factory EGT sensors, when the temps spike up during regens you’ll notice this.
The Insight is a monitor only with several gauges which would/should benefit anyone even stock to know better if everything is functioning good.
Now, if your interested in having pre-turbo temps (hottest reading) then you’ll need to install a EGT probe in the exhaust manifold, but this doesn’t have to be done for the insight to work.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Yes, but don’t make this a must do, it’s just one way to determine if yours went thru a regen.
If you don’t see it when it’s happening, the drop might just blend it’s way into the miles, not all will be exact, especially the mileage you have on yours.
Mine came off early in life @ 12-15 k.

Having something like the Edge Insight to monitor EGT’s, your truck has factory EGT sensors, when the temps spike up during regens you’ll notice this.
The Insight is a monitor only with several gauges which would/should benefit anyone even stock to know better if everything is functioning good.
Now, if your interested in having pre-turbo temps (hottest reading) then you’ll need to install a EGT probe in the exhaust manifold, but this doesn’t have to be done for the insight to work.
Okay, sounds good i was just gonna wait to get a monitor when i tune it and just do it all at the same time.. as for the regen i just wanted to make sure it wasn't not doing it at all and just building up soot and ash in the dpf.. or if it was stuck in a regen or something. I wish mine came off at that mileage.. but i wanst first owner lol and the second owner (my uncle) put over 300k km on it.

I’m the kinda person that wants to know the before and after by monitoring stuff, even if it’s only a gauge.
I put my Westach EGT/Boost gauge on the same day I brought my stock truck home new.
The Insight new only cost about $100 more with more gauges in one little rectangular box.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #29 ·
I’m the kinda person that wants to know the before and after by monitoring stuff, even if it’s only a gauge.
I put my Westach EGT/Boost gauge on the same day I brought my stock truck home new.
The Insight new only cost about $100 more with more gauges in one little rectangular box.
I am the same when it comes to monitoring stuff before and after.. attached is a monitor that i was looking at getting.. its nearly 1000$ CDN so its gonna be a set back for my self, but is it something that i would have to change to get a different model when i delete or a different one all together ?

https://edgeproducts.com/shop/diesel-evolution-cts2-ca-edition

Discussion starter · #30 ·
With Efi live tunes i mean..

Discussion starter · #32 ·
That’s a tuner which won’t offer deletes a waist of $$$ if your eventually going EFI, all you need is https://edgeproducts.com/shop/insight-cts2
Or this https://edgeproducts.com/shop/insight-cs2
That's the response i was kinda waiting for, because well, less money means more tunes..

So in essence if i go this route if i wanted to i could just get that now, and in the spring i could do the tunes and delete and that way i am not 1, spending more money at once and two i am now wasting money.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.