Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to test the 9th injector....easily?? In the last few weeks I am getting a lot more white smoke coming out the tail pipe when I get on the throttle. I’m used to seeing it during regen every 500’ish Nile but now I see it every couple hundred miles. Only happens when I get on the gas pedal hard. Nothing when I am going slow, stopped, or a slow constant acceleration.

Other factor that doesn’t have me real concerned is after 1000 miles from oil change I was around 1/2 - 2/3 quarts low on oil. Typically I add about 1/2 quart of oil around 3-4K Miles and sometime none after 5k miles. I need to watch this for sure. Same oil I’ve been running for a year. I have been towing a lot recently too and stuck in a lot of traffic so the oil thing could be a mix of variables I get that too

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And I used about 3.5 gallons of DEF in just 2000 miles. A little more then normal but towing and traffic will use some extra but never that much in my experience

·
Registered
991 Posts
White smoke usually indicates a blown head gasket and coolant in the exhaust. Even when I had a bad NOX sensor and DEF consumption skyrocketed there was not a visible change in the exhaust.

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
How cold is it outside? How long do you let the truck warm up. It's pretty common to see smoke with cold fuel.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m in CA so the mornings here are in mid 40s. I usually use the remote start and let it heat up (at least heat my seat up) for 5-10 mins in the morning before I get going.

Just wondering if Stanadyn switched formulas or something. I have been using the lube forever on this truck. Sometime if traveling in mountains in the winter I use Optilube XPD for the cold protection and it does the same thing (blowing so much smoke). That’s why I stopped using Optilube throughout the year.....hmmmm I wonder.

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
You can go buy an edge cts insight monitor, to watch engine parameters. Tells weather or not the truck is in regen. But those run I'm thinking 400 bucks.

I haven't bought fuel in California but buying in other Western States I been having the problem of truck smoking when trying to regen. I think it's the source of bio fuel used out there. It doesn't produce enough heat/staying burning in the exhaust.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts