Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

White smoke?

2K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  Takeit2theMax 
#1 ·
I know white smoke is a sign of bad injectors but the only time I see the white smoke is if I go full throttle then let off it some white smoke will come out. I checked my injectors specs with my edge insight and they looked good to me.
No codes at all and truck still drives normal, any ideas as to what it might be? I can take a pic and post my injector specs to if that will help.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
Most likely its from the race plug. Your going from max rail pressure to idle desired rail pressure... But the actual rail pressure is not going to drop until it goes through the injectors because the relief is plugged. Some of that rail pressure is returning through the injectors return lines but for a split second it also continues to exit the nozzle even though it's not needed. That makes white smoke. The extra fuel is not hot enough to come out black, it comes out white as "heated" but not burnt fuel.

#3 ·
Ok that makes since, so to fix it would i need to put a race plug in? I have one in my Sig but i havent installed it since i haven't had problems as of yet.

Reactions: Dmaxed775
#4 ·
Oh, I was describing your issue as if the race plug was installed already. I assumed it was installed because it was in your signature. That changes the clear explanation I had for your issue. I still believe it is the fact that fuel is still entering the cylinder after you let off, but now I don't have a simple reason. Can you watch your rail pressure with the CTS and tell me what the actual and desired rail pressure is when it smokes white?

#6 ·
At WOT? What happens when desired rail pressure drops when you let off? What is the frp at the moment the truck smokes white?

#7 ·
Only at WOT i can cruise on 70 and the frp both stay constant at 23. the drp stays at 23 usually while the actual frp drops and i see whit smoke at about 8

#8 ·
Install the race plug.

#9 ·
Well I got the race plug installed was fairly simple, but it didn't seem to solve the problem. Now at WOT my dfrp reads 23k but my actual rail pressure is 19k but then it goes to 23k+. White smoke just pours out then it will continue to smoke at idle.

#10 ·
Changed the fuel filter thought it might help no go. Now however it doesn't smoke at WOT till I let off then she blows white smoke like a train. Any thoughts I'm out of ideas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.