Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my truck it came with a set of train horns, previous owner had the tank and compressor mounted in the bed and also had a topper on the truck. I took the topper off and a month later the the compressor took a crap. Finished rebuilding it last night and trying to think of a good spot to mount the tank and compressor. I'm thinking under the truck somewhere along the frame. Where do yall have yours mounted at? Pics would be awesome because I'm trying to get some ideas.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I made a bracket and mounted mine on the frame rail under the drivers side, sorry no pics

·
Vendor
1,766 Posts
My dads is mounted on the outside of the passenger side frame works pretty good no pics

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have one out in the shop. I don't know where my father got it at.

One day I connected the compressor air hose up to it. Maybe 150 psi or more. I opened the valve on that and man was it loud. Haha I couldn't imagine that being on my truck. Probably would get ticketed for it would be my guess for using it.

This sort of reminds me of the time someone was telling me he knew someone who mounted air plane landing lights in the front if their car. Now that would be a blinding light. I want to say they got ticketed for it.

·
Registered
485 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright cool, thanks for the quick responses. I found a spot to mount the the compressor to where it'll stay "dry". once I get off work I'm going to figure out what side of the frame I'm going to mount the tank.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm an engineer, so I have to listen to a train horn all the time, I cant imagine anybody wanting to hear that!

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I have my compressor mounted to the inside of my passenger side frame with the air filter run up under a shield under the bed to keep it clean. The tank I made a bracket for it and mounted out side the fame under the bed skirt in front of the wheel. I've got some pics on here some where I'll to find.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/e...un-train-horns-my-helper-bags-compressor.html

Last post has pics of my compressor, tank, and old horns. I'll have to find pics of my hornblasters mounted under the bed.

·
Premium Member
2021 L5P CCLB
1,049 Posts
I have my compressor mounted to the inside of my passenger side frame with the air filter run up under a shield under the bed to keep it clean. The tank I made a bracket for it and mounted out side the fame under the bed skirt in front of the wheel. I've got some pics on here some where I'll to find.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/e...un-train-horns-my-helper-bags-compressor.html

Last post has pics of my compressor, tank, and old horns. I'll have to find pics of my hornblasters mounted under the bed.
likely will be to small of a compressor to fill a decent size tank ..... and even after it filled would not be large enough to maintain pressure when using it.....

i know i had a small compressor for my bags ....and when i added my air and horn set up later i added dual compressors and they are much larger and stronger than my air bag compressor

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
It fills the 3 gallon tank quick enough for me, it does drop with the shocker kit but I'm ok with it at the moment. It's on the list of wants to upgrade to a larger tank and better compressor.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have one in my bronco, the compressor is the one part you want out of harms way. they dont do so well in an environment that could expose them to road spray, salt, rocks, etc. the tank and horns can, just not the compressor. I bought mine from hornblasters and it came with the compressor on top of the tank, so i just mounted the whole thing in the back of my bko.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts