Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of you use your dmax for playing in the mud and snow, but I am wondering, for those of you that use your truck almost exclusively for towing, (whether personal or company based), why did you get a 4wd instead of a 2wd?

I am hunting around for my first Duramax, and I would be ok with a 2wd, but they seem to be few and far between....I am wondering why people shelled out the extra cash up front, and the hit on mpg for 4wd?

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I personally haul quite a bit with mine in the Christmas season hauling trees around. It comes in real handy when I am pulling a 32-40K lb load out of the woods or a field to get to the road. You should see some of the places these farmers plant trees!!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Me, for winter,mud & the re-sale. 4x4 is there if i need it

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
because its better to have it and not use it.....than to not have it and need it.

Some years i get alot of snow some i dont...just one of those things.

others it may be for the simple fact they can leave the line at the dragstrip and not burn the tires all the way down in 2WD.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
all i can say is if your tires ever go off the pavement... get 4WD.. at least for me.. i cant imagine doin the work i do with a 2WD..

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
Snow, Ice, On ramps while towing 16,000lbs in the rain.....especially short ones, Dragging out stuck vehicles....I'm the only one with a 4x4 in the family so I'm the go to guy for when others get stuck

·
Registered
275 Posts
The diesel is pretty heavy. You don't have to go play in the mud to need the 4WD on these. The day I test drove the truck I turned around on a gravel road and it was on a mild slope. The front end weight was enough that rear tires spun trying to back up. Had to put it in 4wd. And this isnt an isolated incident. If you do any type of off-road driving your gonna want a 4WD.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Pulling my boat out of the water.
Off Roading
Driving around in blizzards.
Lifting 2wd trucks are restarted.
Drag Racing.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Being raised on a farm i would never buy a truck without 4wd. I use it to get places in snow, on ice, in the mud, all sorts of reasons.

·
Rode the Short Bus
2,380 Posts
I have 4WD for every time the 2 rear wheels slip on their own. And it happens a lot.

My last diesel was 2WD and I had it stuck several times and needed help getting out. Plus, some RV parks don't have the best roads and you will need the 4WD.

I use mine quite a bit.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I didnt think i needed 4 wheel drive but i have used it alot. My truck wont even back up a small hill in the grass with out 4 wheel drive. It would have been worthless during the winter without it. Ill wish you had it the first time you get stuck in almost nothing.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I live in Utah....
Really though,
Towing Snowmobiles and trailers through snow and canyons
Towing 11k skid and trailer up muddy nasty steep canyon roads
Towing through sand dunes
Tearing out trees at my moms :eek:
Getting everyone else out of where they shouldn't be
ICE!
Agreed with the needing it and having it.
Oh my- look up some boat ramp vids...
Resale is always good too.

·
Registered
387 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
well that vid says it all...plus with the TQ these put out you need it on wet grass...or dry grass if there is a hill!

·
Registered
784 Posts
y 4x4

cause i couldn't find a 2x4..........truck used mostly for hiway run between home and place i've been posted to.........wanted duramax for towing

·
Registered
387 Posts
Now if I lived down south, never went off road and mostly drove highway, hotshot, or somethin like that, I wouldn't mind a two wheel drive cuz I would never need 4 wheel drive. Given my situation, i'll never have a two wheel drive (or gas truck again for that matter).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well, looks like I am the only one with a 2wd, so I won't say much! The truck is great, tows great and gets good mileage!

My last three trucks were 4x4's, still have one too and the next one will be a 4x4 but sometimes trucks just look good lowered!

1 - 20 of 100 Posts