Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a dodge guy and I was looking at the torque ratings for the durasmack. Why does the standard transmission only have 520ft lbs of torque? I know the allison is a great tranny, but shouldn't the standard be able to take just as much?

·
Registered
48 Posts
No apparently the Allison was able to handle more than the ZF 6spd..I dont remember the details though

·
Registered
269 Posts
Durasmacker

Hey durasmacker!! Yeah this forum does seem very slow...so are you also known as powerstrokekiller on the stroker forum? ha ha!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did you know that man? Oh well you guys should know I'm a dodge cummins guy. I just can't stand their auto trannys :( . Oh well we can't have the best of everything. :D I also go by 2001shrtbedcummins on the cummins forum. I'm just goin around all the various forums kinda stirren stuff up and helping lem get things goin. All these forums are setup to be very user friendly. I hope this one takes off like the other two.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well I just put two and two together! I'm also known as 99smokin73stroker on the psd forum, and cumminatcha on the CTD forum. Like you I also wanted to be able to check out what's going on in the other forums and see what's being said. I'm an all around diesel fan, I don't really play favorites out of the big 3 and if I could afford to have all 3 engines I would!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Dodge Guy?

I bought a Dodge/Cummins in 1990, Lots of pull for it's era, and speaking of manual transmissions, the fine european gertag 5 speed that Dodge was selling in 1990 let loose at about 25,000 miles. Dodge was kind enough to pay for half of the rebuild cost for me, full waranty coverage was not an option because I worked that Dodge too hard. It let loose again about 10,000 miles later. No help from Dodge this time. The rear end let loose shortly thereafter.
Perhaps I would have been better off getting the truck with the 727 tf.

Yea, that was a long time ago, I am sure that the Dodge product is much better, but I will never know. Since 1990 I have bought lots and lots of fords and chevys, but I dont think I will ever buy Dodge again. I still have a bad taste in my mouth, a result of poor customer service concerning a component (gertag) known to be substandard by all parties involved.

I have never had issue with chevrolet or ford not honoring their waranty.

Fool me once shame on you....

Anyway, I have purchased 2 duramax trucks over the last 18 months, mainly on the merits of the proven allison transmission. so far neither truck has had a hint of a mechanical issue, one woks harder than the 1990 dodge ever did.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ironically enough there are guys that'd kill to have that 90 of yours, lol!

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
Actually the reason for the less hp on a manual is because of zf they only rate the 6s-650 for 520 lb ft. even though ford puts a claimed 575 through the same trans, and my self and many others have proven there capable of holding to some strange abuse:D !

Most would say why dosent gm just go with a different trans to up the hp, well they just dont care about a handshaker trans, as they nolonger even offer one in a diesel:mad: !

·
Registered
269 Posts
So I guess the petition I signed up for did no good?

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
Not as of right now maybe they will introduse it into the truck line later in the year:help !!!!

But the petition only ever got like 220 signs:mad: !!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ironically enough there are guys that'd kill to have that 90 of yours, lol!
I sold it to my brother-in-law back in 97, last I knew it was still sitting on his farm, doing nothing but rusting. I kind of think that he parked it due to some engine issues. But that was a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought a Dodge/Cummins in 1990, Lots of pull for it's era, and speaking of manual transmissions, the fine european gertag 5 speed that Dodge was selling in 1990 let loose at about 25,000 miles. Dodge was kind enough to pay for half of the rebuild cost for me, full waranty coverage was not an option because I worked that Dodge too hard. It let loose again about 10,000 miles later. No help from Dodge this time. The rear end let loose shortly thereafter.
Perhaps I would have been better off getting the truck with the 727 tf.

Yea, that was a long time ago, I am sure that the Dodge product is much better, but I will never know. Since 1990 I have bought lots and lots of fords and chevys, but I dont think I will ever buy Dodge again. I still have a bad taste in my mouth, a result of poor customer service concerning a component (gertag) known to be substandard by all parties involved.

I have never had issue with chevrolet or ford not honoring their waranty.

Fool me once shame on you....

Anyway, I have purchased 2 duramax trucks over the last 18 months, mainly on the merits of the proven allison transmission. so far neither truck has had a hint of a mechanical issue, one woks harder than the 1990 dodge ever did.
Dodge customer service, or lack there of, is in need of some help. They are terrible.

·
Registered
17 Posts
the zf is not the weakness its in the dual mass fly wheel that cant hold up to the power.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have to ask why is it every cummins guy I have ever met has had tranny problems. I can think of at least 5 guys off the top of my head. We don't really see the same issues with the stock allison like dodge does with their tranny. Just food for thought.:tease

·
Registered
17 Posts
the allison is a medium duty trany as for the dodge's trany it was never designed to be used behind the cummins and is a much smaller trany compared to the allison.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have to see it to believe it. There is know way any stock trany will hold up towing with that much hp.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have to ask why is it every cummins guy I have ever met has had tranny problems. I can think of at least 5 guys off the top of my head. We don't really see the same issues with the stock allison like dodge does with their tranny. Just food for thought.:tease
I stated earlier that i have not bought a dodge since 1990, my dad did though. he has a 2002 with 76,000 miles that lost it's auto trans. (About a month ago)......

He also had a 1991 (or about a 1991), It had about a 100,000 miles on it when the oil presure went to hell, (very low) he sold it, but to be honest this transmission never had problems, but, this truck did not work real hard either.

There are plenty of reasons why I am a Chevy guy!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts