Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why don't more people use a gooseneck hitch? Was reading another thread on here and the guy has a super heavy 5er hitch that he can't move by himself. I tow a 43ft 5th wheel TH and use this
never have to remove or store a hitch. Guy, I camp with has a 2020 f450 and some huge 5er hitch that he is super proud of. I asked him how hard is it to remove and he said it is so heavy he has no plans to remove it from the bed. He uses the truck for work as well and said he made a custom wood box that goes over it so he can load material into his truck. What am I missing? And the B&W hitches that mount on top of a gooseneck ball, it was cheaper for me to buy an entire coupler for my 5er than it was for the companion hitch. I will admit hitching the 5er to the truck at first was more difficult but after 5 or 6 times it got a lot easier. Also, the ride is so much smoother.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I contemplated which one to get, and finally went with the b&w turnover ball, and the Anderson ultimate hitch, it is very light, and I can still use my truck bed if I need too.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I contemplated which one to get, and finally went with the b&w turnover ball, and the Anderson ultimate hitch, it is very light, and I can still use my truck bed if I need too.
I used the Ultimate hitch at first and loved it and then went to the gooseneck coupler on the 5th wheel. I kept the ultimate so i can still move friends and family members 5er trailers

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the Reese GooseBox installed on my 5th wheel before I took delivery. Frame warranty stays intact and the ride is great. Very little bouncing or chucking. Can remove the ball and chain anchors in less than 30 seconds if I need the flat bed floor.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had the Reese GooseBox installed on my 5th wheel before I took delivery. Frame warranty stays intact and the ride is great. Very little bouncing or chucking. Can remove the ball and chain anchors in less than 30 seconds if I need the flat bed floor.
I wish this was an option for a shortbed. I'll be stuck with a slider that's gigantic. These seems like the perfect setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
894 Posts
The short answer to your question is that the gooseneck hitch changes the stresses that the hitch exerts on the trailer frame. The farther you move the attachment point to the truck hitch down, the more stress you put on the trailer frame. If you think about it like a cheater pipe on a wrench or chain boomer, the longer your pipe, the move leverage you have. So the farther you move the hitch attachment point down from the trailer frame, the move leverage the hitch has to twist the trailer frame.

Someone else mentioned trailer frame warranty. I don't have the specifics on that but I've seen it mentioned enough times that I'm sure there's something to it. Nobody wants to buy a big nice new camper and immediately void the structural warranty.

As for the B&W hitch, I'm a pretty big fan. First, they're built 45 minutes from me, second, a good friend of mine is a dealer, third, they build high quality equipment and stand behind it.

I've used their hitches on both a standard pickup box and a flatbed. The standard Companion is a handful for one guy. I'm not that big but have always had a tough time saying I can't. So I can wrestle it around but it's a chore and probably not very smart. As I get older I'm sure it would end up on the list of things that I don't do anymore. The one for the flatbed is much smaller and easily handled. Just pop the hitch head off then loosen one bolt, pull the pin and pick the base right up out of the socket. I don't think either half weighs 75 pounds. So for flatbed guys that want to change hitches routinely like I do, I don't know of a better setup.

For guys with a dedicated tow rig, there are definitely lots of hitch options, some of which get pretty heavy but if you can just leave it in the truck, then so be it.

All that said, my personal 5er has a gooseneck hitch. It was there when I bought the unit. It's old and way out of warranty so I just keep using it:)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I wish this was an option for a shortbed. I'll be stuck with a slider that's gigantic. These seems like the perfect setup.

I'm using a Goose Box on my short bed truck. B&W turnover ball with 4" offset. Can get dang close to 90 degrees this way.

Reactions: nutdriver

·
Registered
28 Posts

Look at a Sidewinder pin box. Perfect solution for towing fifth wheels with a 6.5' box. Can be used with plain light weight fiver hitch. Never worry about hitting your cab or back window. Trailer tracks and backs more like a bumper pull. Has an air ride version. Been using them for 15+ years on three different fivers and two trucks. Love it.

2007 2500HD Classic 4x4 LBZ

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The short answer to your question is that the gooseneck hitch changes the stresses that the hitch exerts on the trailer frame. The farther you move the attachment point to the truck hitch down, the more stress you put on the trailer frame. If you think about it like a cheater pipe on a wrench or chain boomer, the longer your pipe, the move leverage you have. So the farther you move the hitch attachment point down from the trailer frame, the move leverage the hitch has to twist the trailer frame.

Someone else mentioned trailer frame warranty. I don't have the specifics on that but I've seen it mentioned enough times that I'm sure there's something to it. Nobody wants to buy a big nice new camper and immediately void the structural warranty.

As for the B&W hitch, I'm a pretty big fan. First, they're built 45 minutes from me, second, a good friend of mine is a dealer, third, they build high quality equipment and stand behind it.

I've used their hitches on both a standard pickup box and a flatbed. The standard Companion is a handful for one guy. I'm not that big but have always had a tough time saying I can't. So I can wrestle it around but it's a chore and probably not very smart. As I get older I'm sure it would end up on the list of things that I don't do anymore. The one for the flatbed is much smaller and easily handled. Just pop the hitch head off then loosen one bolt, pull the pin and pick the base right up out of the socket. I don't think either half weighs 75 pounds. So for flatbed guys that want to changes hitches routinely like I do, I don't know of a better setup.

For guys with a dedicated tow rig, there are definitely lots of hitch options, some of which get pretty heavy but if you can just leave it in the truck, then so be it.

All that said, my personal 5er has a gooseneck hitch. It was there when I bought the unit. It's old and way out of warranty so I just keep using it:)
I found that with a Lippert frame the warranty only applies to the original owner and is only good for 2 years. I found this out when my attitude 5th wheel developed a huge crack by the bedroom slide out and being the 2nd owner and it being three years old I was left holding the bag. Attitude trailers, Lippert, and my RV insurance all said not their problem. I took the front cap off and found the welds had cracked in the corners causing the frame to flex which led to the cracking of the fiberglass by the bedroom slide. this was with a curt 20k 5er hitch. After that, I decided to get the ultimate hitch and then got the gooseneck coupler.

Reactions: blythkd1

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
There are very few gooseneck/couplers that will NOT void the Lippert frame warranty. Just note that Lippert makes damn near all of the frames for 5vrs regardless of brand. I would hate like hell to break the frame on a new camper, only to have Lippert say, too bad, you used a gooseneck/adapter. I would strongly recommend to contact Lippert to see if your setup would void the warranty or not.

As @blythkd1 has already pointed out, the stresses of a gooseneck/adapter are far greater in the bending and twisting moment exerted on the camper frame that a standard 5th wheel hitch. There are many stories in the various RV forums of 5vr frame failures associated with goosenecks/adapters that result in very expensive repairs. While gooseneck adapters are much more convenient, I would never use a gooseneck on my camper.

As an aside, I would never purchase a used 5vr that had been towed using any sort of gooseneck/adapter due to concern with frame damage.

I have used the B&W companion for a number of years and it is a good hitch. Well made, sturdy and there is never any sort of hitch "rattle" when coupled. The hitch comes apart in two pieces and can easily be removed or installed by one person. Highly recommend them.

Reactions: Jasong

·
Registered
28 Posts
We are in a farm/ranch community. Which means lots of gooseneck produce/livestock/flatbed trailers. So nearly everyone uses a gooseneck adapter on their RVs so they don't have to have multiple hitches.
My nephew even uses one on his very heavy 43' toy hauler.
Have never personally known or heard of anyone having any frame problems related to the adapter. Ever.
On my personal truck I chose to use a fifth wheel hitch as it provides a more stable and smooth ride, especially since I prefer to use a Sidewinder with air ride. My 6.5' bed is also a limiting factor on which hitch I use.
So you can come up with whatever rational you want to use when discussing pro/cons of gooseneck adapters, but in RL they just simply work as they are used by thousands of RVers.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Look at a Sidewinder pin box. Perfect solution for towing fifth wheels with a 6.5' box. Can be used with plain light weight fiver hitch. Never worry about hitting your cab or back window. Trailer tracks and backs more like a bumper pull. Has an air ride version. Been using them for 15+ years on three different fivers and two trucks. Love it.

Not all fifth wheel hitches are compatible with sidewinder pin boxes. Any hitch that has a composite hitch head (such as the Blue Ox Super Ride) will not work with a sidewinder. The reason is that the sidewinder transmits a huge moment to the hitch on the yaw (turning) axis via the key that immobilizes the front part of the sidewinder. With a traditional pinbox the yaw moment transmitted to the hitch is nominally zero (i.e., it turns freely). Basically the sidewinder key will shear the composite layer right off the hitch head.

For the same reason, you can't use sidewinders with any single-attachment-point fifth wheels because they are not designed to resist a moment on the yaw axis. The hitch itself will wind up turning in the truck bed.

Also, since sidewinders move the yaw pivot point so much further back, that configuration may be more susceptible to sway than with a more conventional setup.

Definitely not saying to avoid the sidewinder, but folks should be aware of its limitations and effects on vehicle dynamics.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not all fifth wheel hitches are compatible with sidewinder pin boxes. Any hitch that has a composite hitch head (such as the Blue Ox Super Ride) will not work with a sidewinder. The reason is that the sidewinder transmits a huge moment to the hitch on the yaw (turning) axis via the key that immobilizes the front part of the sidewinder. With a traditional pinbox the yaw moment transmitted to the hitch is nominally zero (i.e., it turns freely). Basically the sidewinder key will shear the composite layer right off the hitch head.

For the same reason, you can't use sidewinders with any single-attachment-point fifth wheels because they are not designed to resist a moment on the yaw axis. The hitch itself will wind up turning in the truck bed.

Also, since sidewinders move the yaw pivot point so much further back, that configuration may be more susceptible to sway than with a more conventional setup.

Definitely not saying to avoid the sidewinder, but folks should be aware of its limitations and effects on vehicle dynamics.
Sidewinder type pin boxes do not increase any sway or cause bad handling, that is internet fear mongering by folks who have never used them and don't understand them. Sidewinder type hitches (Revolution and Turning Point) now come as OEM on many fifth wheels.

True, they will not work with some truck hitches but that is not a problem as you can use a cheap normal plain jane hitch that weighs less than 100lbs. And if you want to use a particular truck hitch, they make many custom wedges. For 6.5' beds, it is a perfect solution. But if you don't understand them, or just don't like them, don't use them. Simple.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Sidewinder type pin boxes do not increase any sway or cause bad handling, that is internet fear mongering by folks who have never used them and don't understand them. Sidewinder type hitches (Revolution and Turning Point) now come as OEM on many fifth wheels.

True, they will not work with some truck hitches but that is not a problem as you can use a cheap normal plain jane hitch that weighs less than 100lbs. And if you want to use a particular truck hitch, they make many custom wedges. For 6.5' beds, it is a perfect solution. But if you don't understand them, or just don't like them, don't use them. Simple.

All I did was identify some of the limitations of the product...not real sure why you had to jump right into lecturing me on what you think I don't understand. But I can play that game too if you want. Let me know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
All I did was identify some of the limitations of the product...not real sure why you had to jump right into lecturing me on what you think I don't understand. But I can play that game too if you want. Let me know.
Some of your post was legitimate points (doesn't work with every truck hitch), others were not true and disparaged a good product without any proof (increases sway).
Just setting the record straight for others reading this thread.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had a 5er with the gooseneck conversion. It was removed when the trailer came home because unhooking from the truck was a pain in the ass compared to a 5er

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a 5er with the gooseneck conversion. It was removed when the trailer came home because unhooking from the truck was a pain in the ass compared to a 5er
How was it a pain in the ass?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have to get in the pickup bed to hook and unhook both a gooseneck and a fifth wheel. My last truck was a flatbed and hooking up was a breeze. Then I got this truck in November and quickly found that hooking up any trailer in the bed is now a pain in the ass.

Kinda makes me want a flatbed again. I thought there would be things about the pickup box that I would like but now I don't know if it's worth it.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Flatbeds and gooses- nothing better!!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts