Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so just 2 or 3 short years ago duramax forum was buzzing with aftermarket turbo threads, bigger injector threads, and performance transmission build threads and track videos and so on.... I would just say that the diesel performance world has slacked way off BUT I see TONS of diesels rolling around still everywhere!! So why is everything on here now about maintenence or wheels and tires or problems or the latest diesel prices?? All that is still great to have, but what happened to the guys that wanted to go fast or build for 700 horsepower or break in the 10's in the quarter mile? Am I on the wrong Forum now???

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think your right, it's still all happening it's just less of it and a lot less talked online now. I miss it

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
More technical discussions went to dd and other forums that did more performance stuff and less what tires fit threads. Lots of the daily build thread stuff went to fb.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
This forum died the day custom tuning was basically shut down and moved underground.

Still lots of good info to be found and good members to relate with, but there aren't many guys advertising that they flouted the law and built their truck to 1000hp, IMO

I agree, though. I do miss following the builds and living vicariously through the guys with more money and mechanical skill than I possess lol.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
I for one love to go fast but with all the EPA BS its tough. Im never going to build a big hot rod though, I wont even do Live tunes because I know how I am and and I'll blow my head gaskets, lol! Much of the technology is out there but as the industry changes so must the technology. Look at these new Duramax's with all those electronics who can afford a new truck and then tear it apart to make it better. Thats what the TV shows do but not the common guy, good to dream though. I have just as much fun helping a new kid with a Air-Horn install or putting a exhaust on, those are our future builders as I see it. We have become such a throw away society, no one ever fixes anything anymore. Then you have all this Chinese garbage flooding our parts market that is substandard things like Solenoids to Headlights. Got of topic almost in a rant Sorry!!! Guess what Im saying is were not dead but we do it on a budget, my budget for my truck a month is 600.00 which is not a lot, but I live within my means. I think another factor as you will see is its spring in some areas (not here) so folks are going to get busy out in the woods.

So were not dead just a bit slower with age. This is only my opinion and you know how we all have those, If you do do a build I would love to see and read it though.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Okay, so just 2 or 3 short years ago duramax forum was buzzing with aftermarket turbo threads, bigger injector threads, and performance transmission build threads and track videos and so on.... I would just say that the diesel performance world has slacked way off BUT I see TONS of diesels rolling around still everywhere!! So why is everything on here now about maintenence or wheels and tires or problems or the latest diesel prices?? All that is still great to have, but what happened to the guys that wanted to go fast or build for 700 horsepower or break in the 10's in the quarter mile? Am I on the wrong Forum now???

The EPA came, kicked the door in and then proceeded to piss in everyones cheerios. Thos whos cheerios are devoid of government additives are not feeling real chatty out of fear that there cheerios may be next.

·
Premium Member
2006 LBZ CCSB Leveled, Hypertech Programmer, 2008 LMM WT, 2008 Gasser WT
207 Posts
I'd say that we can thank the Environmental Protection Agency.
Really, you can thank all the assholes on Youtube rolling coal. The EPA likely wouldn't have noticed us otherwise.

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
The EPA came, kicked the door in and then proceeded to piss in everyones cheerios. Thos whos cheerios are devoid of government additives are not feeling real chatty out of fear that there cheerios may be next.
Sounds like Nancy Pelosi and Little Chuckie Schumer have their hand in this somewhere!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Really, you can thank all the assholes on Youtube rolling coal. The EPA likely wouldn't have noticed us otherwise.
This is very true. As much as we want to hate on the EPA for enforcing laws that were already enforceable, the real issue is all the clowns who gave the turning industry a terrible image by blacking out intersections and intentionally rolling coal at pedestrians for views. You literally filmed yourself breaking laws, inconveniencing people, and driving recklessly, what do you think the outcome will be?

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
No it as the Goobers Rolling Coal on the TV Show about that. Rub it in enough peoples faces bad things happen, no one to blame but Bubba.
There is a lot of blame to share, a very large part of that blame in my opinion goes to the few TV shows that showcased excessive amounts of smoke for no reason at all. However, without all the knuckleheads that watched it and thought "golly gee willikers leroy, i should gone dun do this to my truck yes sir" i dont think you would have the same level of community support for enforcing the laws. To say it differently, we all know speeding is illegal, but everyone does it and no one really gets stopped for it unless your being excessive about it. Delete like you speed.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,254 Posts
We lost a considerable amount of Members a while back, when the owners found hack vulnerabilities across the board on all Forums they own/run, and did a forced password change to everyone.

Problem with this was, no one ever updated their Email accounts after joining, and the only one available to the site (password reset, etc.) was the old one that they joined the Forum with, years ago.

No one could remember what Email address they used years before, much less recalling the password to log in.

Some created new accounts, just to ask how to get back in. Most others, just gave up and went elsewhere when they could no longer log in to their long-held accounts on the DF.

Before all of that, it started when someone disabled the 'Chat Room'....and no one would step up and fix it. We just got a "Don't know how" responses.
THAT's when the migration to FB began.

All over the Chat room. It was a blast and entertaining, as a back room to say what ya wanted about whatever or posts made. Kind of a running commentary of unrestricted opinions. At times, it was such a frenzy, good luck in trying to keep up with the flow.....too many people in the room

·
Registered
231 Posts
There is a lot of blame to share, a very large part of that blame in my opinion goes to the few TV shows that showcased excessive amounts of smoke for no reason at all. However, without all the knuckleheads that watched it and thought "golly gee willikers leroy, i should gone dun do this to my truck yes sir" i dont think you would have the same level of community support for enforcing the laws. To say it differently, we all know speeding is illegal, but everyone does it and no one really gets stopped for it unless your being excessive about it. Delete like you speed.
Unfortunately, this is not 1990 and times have changed like it or not the good old days are Dead and Buried never to return. The rolling coal TV Shows were the air powered nail gun that sealed the Coffin like it or not. It really is just that simple.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Unfortunately, this is not 1990 and times have changed like it or not the good old days are Dead and Buried never to return. The rolling coal TV Shows were the air powered nail gun that sealed the Coffin like it or not. It really is just that simple.
i disagree for one reason. If the general populations perception of diesels was that all the ones they ever saw in day to day life were clean, then they would look at that show as anyone looks at nascar or the like, and they would differentiate it from the reality where they drive. What happened is this show made a habit of showing the dirty side of diesels, but then these people went out into there neighborhoods and saw it happening on the same streets they drive on. That is where you have issues. If it was JUST on TV it would not be a problem, in the way that no one expects to see a F1 drag strip car at a red light next to them. Im not saying the show was not a key roll in the downfall, but at the end of the day the people that decided smoke tunes were cool are really the problem. Especially since they predate the TV shows.

·
Premium Member
3,242 Posts
Soon we will all be sitting behind the wheel of nanny trucks and cars that do the driving for us...and transmit to the local cops a wifi footprint if we are breaking the rules. Yeah, all this nanny car tech is great...until it dumbs away our skills to know how to actually DRIVE the damn vehicle!!!! It's coming.....

·
Registered
299 Posts
……..., the real issue is all the clowns who gave the turning industry a terrible image by blacking out intersections and intentionally rolling coal at pedestrians for views. You literally filmed yourself breaking laws, inconveniencing people, and driving recklessly, what do you think the outcome will be?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your mistake is assuming these adolescent clowns were thinking beyond their own selfish desires and needs to "be important".

I just lost a windshield - am out two hundred bucks, because someone in a dualie just HAD to have tires that stick out beyond his fenders, so that pebbles/rocks can be tossed at passing vehicles rather than bounced harmlessly down from fenders.

I am now an outlaw...own a "cute little fuzzy chined bunney wabbet" murdering Duramax, because some adolescent clowns thought it fun to blow black smelly smoke all over the place, resulting in putting into place devices that report to a computer..... that damn near got me killed.

I saw some survey that claimed that some 80% of pick-up trucks are bought by rich city kids who do so because they THINK they are impressing young females.

Took an amateur survey the other day in our town...of nice-looking and in some cases highly modified jewelery-case maintained pick ups - more than half of them had undersides as clean as they left the show-room; their trailer hitch receivers obviously never had a hitch.

Bottom line - your above post - and a couple below it...are RIGHT ON (except where you say you think these brats are "thinking"...... Wish I had some answers...not even sure at my age what the questions should be!

·
Registered
177 Posts
It wasn't public outcry that made the EPA crack down.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 49 Posts