Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Obsessed with Plowing
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I'm getting just a baby lope at idle when warm. I checked the balance rates on the Predator today (engine was warm), and 6 injectors were +\- 1.5; 1 and 8 were at about 3... forgot if they were plus or minus. Rates were checked in park and drive, and the differences weren't worth remembering. I've had the lope for a while now, and when I looked at the fuel pressure vs. desired pressure, it's bouncing around, sometimes within 100 PSI, sometimes off by 300 PSI or so.

My question is: will it stay this way, if it's the FPR? I believe all my wiring is good, and there aren't any other issues with the truck. Heck, not only does it purr like a kitten, the recent Blackstone test showed the motor is in tip-top from an internal perspective :neener . If all the bad FPR does is cause a little lope at idle, I'm fine with it. It flies off the line, and like I said, purrs like a kitten throughout the rest of the RPM band.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Alright, so I'm getting just a baby lope at idle when warm. I checked the balance rates on the Predator today (engine was warm), and 6 injectors were +\- 1.5; 1 and 8 were at about 3... forgot if they were plus or minus. Rates were checked in park and drive, and the differences weren't worth remembering. I've had the lope for a while now, and when I looked at the fuel pressure vs. desired pressure, it's bouncing around, sometimes within 100 PSI, sometimes off by 300 PSI or so.

My question is: will it stay this way, if it's the FPR? I believe all my wiring is good, and there aren't any other issues with the truck. Heck, not only does it purr like a kitten, the recent Blackstone test showed the motor is in tip-top from an internal perspective :neener . If all the bad FPR does is cause a little lope at idle, I'm fine with it. It flies off the line, and like I said, purrs like a kitten throughout the rest of the RPM band.
I thought Ive read in here somewhere a lope was bad!!!

·
Obsessed with Plowing
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well yeah, it's not supposed to do that, but if all it does is go up and down by about 50 RPM, what's that gonna harm?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
It will get increasingly worse if it is a bad fpr. It will start lunging forward fuel mileage will suffer may not hurt anything, at some point it may start giving incorrect balance rates on injectors as the fuel pressure will not be correct. Mine was horrible, fixed it and then needed 8 injectors before FPR balance rates were fine on all but 3..... It will take a while to be that bad may try some 2 cycle oil in next tank to lubricate it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Obsessed with Plowing
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. Any other possibilities? It can be somewhat intermittent when it happens, so maybe it's just starting to go bad? I will be running AMSOIL's cleaner through it for the next few tanks.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm living with it. I use diesel kleen in every tank. Just a band aid. Don't get caught up on perfect balance rates perfect egts perfect fuel filtration with dual filters and cat filters that go to 2 microns. our old diesels got a filter change once or twice a year some times. plus having filters with ultra low microns and dual filters, in the winter, the fuel will have a tougher time getting to the injectors causing other parts to work harder than they should.. Sorry to get off topic...ha. I have an injector at +5. It's a truck. Not a baby. My fpr lope comes and goes. Put your blind folds on and drive it until you can't deal with it. Put diesel kleen every tank dump the small bottle in then do the 8oz requirment the tanks after.:gearjamin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts