Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always wondered why GM puts IFS in their 3/4 tons and 1 tons. Dodge and Ford all have solid front and rear axles. So is there something that GM knows that they do not?

Premium Member
Ride comfort, performance, turning radius,....IDK, why do the others still use antiquated designs?

Registered
Cost

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My father just recently bought a 1 ton Ford and this was the first Ford purchase in our family. I was blown away by how good the ride is on that solid axle. I do not think it is an excuse anymore because that thing is smooth as hell to ride in and drive.

Registered
IFS is a superior design except for one area, the potential for wheel travel, and this only comes into account in extreme off road. Bottom line, it is cheaper to design and install solid axles and (not to be rude in anyway) the lack of understanding that solid axles are stronger.

Think about this, all Toyota's, Ram, and ford 1/2 tons all brag about IFS on their trucks Ford even puts IRS?? (independent rear suspension) on their large SUV's (which I don't get). If solid axles are so great why don't they still use them on all of those vehicles? Ford is that last hold out on solid rear axels in the mustang ... would imagine that they would see the light and install IRS on it soon.

Registered
IFS is a superior design except for one area, the potential for wheel travel, and this only comes into account in extreme off road. Bottom line, it is cheaper to design and install solid axles and (not to be rude in anyway) the lack of understanding that solid axles are stronger.

Think about this, all Toyota's, Ram, and ford 1/2 tons all brag about IFS on their trucks Ford even puts IRS?? (independent rear suspension) on their large SUV's (which I don't get). If solid axles are so great why don't they still use them on all of those vehicles? Ford is that last hold out on solid rear axels in the mustang ... would imagine that they would see the light and install IRS on it soon.
Holy Crap, someone that gets it! :thumb

Registered
I have always wondered why GM puts IFS in their 3/4 tons and 1 tons. Dodge and Ford all have solid front and rear axles. So is there something that GM knows that they do not?

the real question is why would you want a straight axle when you can build the same truck with the comfort of IFS. GM wasnt building a rock crawler, they were building a truck, they also were not building a sled puller, though with less money then a conversion would cost you can make the IFS front end that anything you can throw at it.

Registered
I have good wheel travel with my ifs.... though mine is farrr from stock now lol

Registered
I like it because it handles better. After driving a semi all day it feels as small as my Vettes. I would wreck a Ford in a corner when I forget what I am driving. GM trucks will out corner the competition by a fairly large margin. That is reason enough. If you want solid get a Ford. Dodges just suck.

Registered
GM sure cheaped out on the Hummer after they bought the company from AM General. The front and rear independent suspension had substantial ground clearance. Front and rear straight axles are dinosaurs...
-
-
-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-
-
-