Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys. Why do SOO many people buy powerstrokes? After all the problems theyve been having why do so many people buy them and KEEP buying them. Is it the way they look or is it the powerstroke name or what? And why do people buy brand new chevy gassers? I still see a lot of people with crew cab long bed gassers? I guess its possible some people just dont like diesels. But with the duramax being such a good engine i still dont know why more people buy it. What do you guys think? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As far as the powerstrokes, most of them are diehards and they dont think there is a problem with them. As far as gassers, personal preferance and the big price differance I would say.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well you have got to remember there are still a lot of old 7.3s out there with a lot of trouble free miles. Like them or not ford had a damn good diesel. People who are trading in the 7.3s are probably thinking those "problems" wont happen to them because of the luck they had with their old one. Another thing is that they want a solid front axle. Chevy doesn't have one, and they may not like dodge.

As for the gassers, the old chevy 6.5 has a bad reputation in the general publics eyes. People who are not up to date with how great the duramax is, are just opting for the gas; and a lot of people just don't want to pay the extra money, or they just don't need one. But now as of 07 they either get a slug 6.0 or a 7,000 dollar diesel. No more big block, and what really pisses me off, no 6 speed standard either.

That's my .02

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea that all makes sense. I didnt know that chevys not gonna have the big block anymore.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Ford has more of a big truck feel and is more off the ground. the chevy is low and then you get the wonderful swoopin frame that you can see from the side. And as previously stated the IFS.

However I am lookin for a DMAX the 6.0's arent as reliable when they are cranked up w/o spend money on studs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
As a former PSD owner, I had a great run with both my 7.3s, both well over
220K, when sold, but I never gave the 6.0 a chance. Saw to many fellow
cattlemen broke down on the side of the road, trailer full, 98 degress, 90%
humidity, and no water.
45K POS truck equaled 100K in dead cattle

NO THANKS, MAKE MINE A MAX!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Whats up guys. Why do SOO many people buy powerstrokes? After all the problems theyve been having why do so many people buy them and KEEP buying them. Is it the way they look or is it the powerstroke name or what? And why do people buy brand new chevy gassers? I still see a lot of people with crew cab long bed gassers? I guess its possible some people just dont like diesels. But with the duramax being such a good engine i still dont know why more people buy it. What do you guys think? Thanks for the input.
The powerstroke 6.0 has treated me pretty good so far. Yeah, I know all the stories, seen plenty of guys writing about head gaskets, injectors, etc. The most notorious motors were the 03 and early 04's, but I've heard a few with later builds stretching the headbolts also. I also know a lot of guys with 6.0's that never had a bit of trouble with them, even after some decent mods installed. I guess I'm willing to take my chance. I'm on my second powerstroke and never had an issue myself. No offense what so ever to anybody driving a chevy or dodge, but I'm a ford guy... Maybe not the best diesel motor on the market, but I do love the truck itself. Just my preference. I've ridden in a few duramax trucks, they're smooth and quiet. They do sit a bit low to the ground IMO. They make good power, I can't deny that. The dodge cummins is a hell of a motor, I just don't like the truck as well is all. I guess it all just comes down to preference. I was born and raised on Fords (I know this is a Dmax site so don't hold it against me) so that's what I stick with. Just wanted to check out your guys' site and maybe learn a little bit about the other side.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
The powerstroke 6.0 has treated me pretty good so far. Yeah, I know all the stories, seen plenty of guys writing about head gaskets, injectors, etc. The most notorious motors were the 03 and early 04's, but I've heard a few with later builds stretching the headbolts also. I also know a lot of guys with 6.0's that never had a bit of trouble with them, even after some decent mods installed. I guess I'm willing to take my chance. I'm on my second powerstroke and never had an issue myself. No offense what so ever to anybody driving a chevy or dodge, but I'm a ford guy... Maybe not the best diesel motor on the market, but I do love the truck itself. Just my preference. I've ridden in a few duramax trucks, they're smooth and quiet. They do sit a bit low to the ground IMO. They make good power, I can't deny that. The dodge cummins is a hell of a motor, I just don't like the truck as well is all. I guess it all just comes down to preference. I was born and raised on Fords (I know this is a Dmax site so don't hold it against me) so that's what I stick with. Just wanted to check out your guys' site and maybe learn a little bit about the other side.
welcome aboard....i respect your choice,i agree ford builds an excellent truck..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea i see what you mean shu873. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
262 Posts
i like the styling of the fords and i like teh front axle i just dont like the problems that teh fords have and my family buys nothing but chevys but my best friend's family buys nothing but fords they both have pros and cons it is just preference

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ford guy here, thats the only real reason, I had two 7.3s, loved them both had 316000 on the last one only repair besides ball joints and regular maint. was an altanator. Have an 04 6.0 with 99,000 miles on it, and though its probably not gonna last as long as my 7.3 trucks, I love it twice as much.
It boils down to what do you like, as far as actual numbers about which ones best, ford tech told me the 6.0 repair percentage is 8% the dmax is 7%, the reason you hear so much more about the 6.0 is the bigger production numbers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts