Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad owns a 04.5 LLY duramax and when we were on a roadtrip last weekend we noticed every time we slowed down from a long run at hwy speeds (70-80mph) we noticed a strong sulfur smell. we got to thinking about it and thought it might be the catalyitic converter. Does that make sense to any one? we also noticed a large fuel mileage drop as well. Thanks for you help.:help

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
When my batteries went it smelled like sulfur. They were boiling over and the acid smells like ass

·
Registered
487 Posts
Did he put off road diesel in it? Its redish fuel and contains more sulfur than highway fuel..

260 Posts
Off road fuel is identical to on road except for the red dye

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was going to say batteries too, but that's from my experience. Batt smelled right before they went bad. the volt gauge was good, but had a struggle to start after a couple of starts. Luckily was at home when the DMax didn't turn over.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Off road fuel is identical to on road except for the red dye
Your right :thumb I guess they changed off road diesel to 15ppm last year.
I work at a Marina and thought it was classified as off road, I know that our fuel has more sulfur, but didnt know that off-road had new restrictions.
Ref:

Emission Standards: USA: Nonroad Diesel Engines
"—the EPA mandated reductions in sulfur content in nonroad diesel fuels, as follows:
-500 ppm effective June 2007 for nonroad, locomotive and marine (NRLM) diesel fuels
-15 ppm (ultra-low sulfur diesel) effective June 2010 for nonroad fuel, and June 2012 for locomotive and marine fuels"

Even if he was using marine fuel tho, it still wouldnt explain why he is smelling it in the cab.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When my batteries went it smelled like sulfur. They were boiling over and the acid smells like ass
if he put in cheap batteries then they are bad again

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Mabet something like the voltage regulator putting too much juice into batterys.Mabey thats why the last set of batteries failed.Batterys take some over charging for a wile before failure.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mabet something like the voltage regulator putting too much juice into batterys.Mabey thats why the last set of batteries failed.Batterys take some over charging for a wile before failure.
could be cause normally sulfer smell has to do with batteries, like the guy said try and get a charging test done to see if that is it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts